Cruise shop waste

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cruise shop waste

Post by John Murray »

It sounds like the mixing zone for cruise ships passed today.That's a crock of waste.Whats ironic about this friggin mess is the cruise ships found a loop hole so some CONPANIES wouldn't have to pay their share of the head tax(which helps communities pay for improvements and maintence of our roads, docks needed to placate tourist).If they can go to federal waters (doughnut holes )to avoid paying the head tax they could certainly go to Federal waters to dump the crock o waste.
Guess we got fooled again.
It hard being a colony to multi-national companies.I don't trust then or our govenor who seems to be their go to guy.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: CRUISE SHOP WASTE

Post by Salty »

John,
Good to see you are back. I talked to a city official today who told me the cruise ships figured that if they spent less than 72 hours in Alaskan waters on their trips here then they didn't have to pay the head tax. It is costing communities in SE Alaska hundreds of thousands of dollars because the clever cruise ships claim all the time in transit more than three miles off shore, in Clarence Straits, Chatham, etc. doesn't count as hours in Alaskan waters. I was wondering last year why the Cruise ships were exactly in the center of Clarence and Chatham. Now I know they were limiting their time in State waters. And is anyone tracking them to double check the exact minutes they were inside 3 miles or are we taking their word for it.
Good luck getting this legislature and this Governor to require observers or tracking technology and the funding to check it.
SilverFox

Re: CRUISE SHIP WASTE

Post by SilverFox »

This had been an ongoing issue in DEC for years. They essentially got bought off by the cruise ship lobbyists and excuse the pun....watered down the requirements for dumping shit in our waters. The original requirements might have been a little over the top, now they are going the other way. The Governor will get major donations for his next campaign.

When your lines pull back...and you think you have a few fish on...it may be turds!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The Turd.jpg
The Turd.jpg (29.44 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by fveureka »

Regarding Cruise ship waste may be it is possible that is why the Icy Straits chum catch rate declined last season. Those ships use the spot near Hanus reef to start dumping. Water turns brown and smell like crap.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

This is a total crock. High past time that the big corporations get sent a message. The governor is the governor, not the king. Cities and boroughs DO have some say in what happens in Alaska. Shut them out, until they clean up their act, and be respectful. If you could get Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau to simply say, "your not allowed to dock here, until you adhear to what the people of Alaska voted on", what would happen? They might call your bluff, and yeah your gambling with a lot of lost revenue, but I'll bet those stops are pretty critical to them too. You ever check out their sales commercials? It's ALL about S.E. Eagles, humpbacks jumping, mt. Roberts tram, forest zip rides,etc.
Who wants to cruise all the way up here just to see Anchorage?
I am totally disgusted with our pandering governor.