Spring Port Meetings

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spring Port Meetings

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Attached is the announcement on ADFG/ATA spring port meetings. Due to significant budget constraints I haven't decided yet which meetings I'll be able to attend. Regardless, I do hope you'll plan to be there.

For those who are new to these meetings, this is your chance to discuss the spring Chinook fishery with managers. They have authority to review lines and make adjustments, in an effort to better access Alaska hatchery fish, which do not count against the quota. So, if you have ideas, make sure to mark your calendar. Of course, you can also ask questions of ADFG about the winter and summer fishery. The managers will be packing all the latest data to share.

For many years ATA has blended its spring meetings with ADFG. The reason is that trollers would show up to one meeting and not the other, figuring they had all the news. ADFG and ATA do mostly different things, so both meetings are important, so now we do them together. It's just one of many great collaborations we have going with ADFG. And it's helpful for everyone involved, because when you have questions on either issues or data, one of us will usually have an answer...or you'll get the promise of a follow-up.

ATA would like to hold more separate meetings, but financially that's usually out of reach. I do hold a specific ATA port meeting in Sitka prior to the July 1 start, and depending on the length of the coho closure and whether or not I'm fishing, I am often there again in August.

Please plan to attend port meetings this spring. And, if you aren't an ATA member, please consider joining soon. I am not joking about our financial condition, which is ironic considering we're the second largest salmon fleet in the state. If the fleet intends to have representation into the future, then now is the time to step up and become part of the team. Please give a call, email, or send a PM with any questions or concerns.

BTW, thanks to a few of you who recently joined...you know who you are. Your support means a lot!=)

Cheers!

Dale
ATA
Attachments
Spring Port Meetings.pdf
(44.89 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: SPRING PORT MEETINGS

Post by Salty »

Dale,
Thanks for this. Also at the Spring port meetings it would be a good time to bring up getting Mist Cove Terminal Harvest Area open by EO by the Dept. during the August troll closure. It is a small area but every little bit counts. Right now it is closed to trollers during the August troll closure but open to sport and charter fishing. The NSRAA board voted to support our General Manager pursuing this with the Dept. We got a similar opening at Hidden Falls for coho by EO before we got it through the Board of Fish last winter.
John Murray has been pursuing this for several years.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi Eric:

Great point! Don't forget to bring that up. It will be interesting to hear ADFG's response.

Best!

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Fullscreen capture 3112013 15000 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 3112013 15000 PM.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
Here is the close up view. Lines are approximate.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Fullscreen capture 3112013 20026 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 3112013 20026 PM.jpg (67.81 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
Here is the picture of the area in Chatham Straits. It is only a little over a half mile across. Not enough for many trollers to work, but if someone wants to try it for a couple of days during the closure among the sport boats why not?

I will be filing an NSRAA Board report in the Associations thread as soon as a couple of trollers who were there have a chance to look at the draft and add or amend.

Eric
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Spring Port Meetings

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Sorry I am not traveling with ADFG to many port meetings this month, I really enjoy getting together with the fleet. A couple folks asked ADFG last night why I wasn't in Ketchikan. The biggest reason for my absence is budget. Alright, geriatric care for ATA's canine mascot and singing Beethoven's 9th next weekend don't help the situation, but even if I dealt with those two things (and I would have), I'd only be able to go to one or two of the meetings. It seemed more important to spend the resources to be at the Board of Fisheries meeting last week in Anchorage. Trouble is, this happens a lot. I end up having to decide between going to meetings on the issues, or getting out and informing the fleet - when we really need to the resources to do both.

As for the rest of ADFG's meetings, might make it to Pelican and Hoonah on Friday and will definitely be on the Yakutat teleconference. Might also be at the very beginning of the Juneau meeting, but not sure about that yet.

We'll take a look at the budget next month after the ATA Board meeting (May 3-5 in Juneau) and see how it looks. My goal is to do mid-late May port meetings in Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, Ketchikan, and Craig. If we can pull it off, I hope to see you there and answer any questions you have. And you should always feel free to call or email me with questions, concerns, or suggestions.

OK, tired of being a chronic nag about this, but seriously, dues paid? And are your coding partners, crew, and support businesses onboard? ATA members could help most right now by helping to round up members. http://www.aktrollers.org/doc/ATA_Application.pdf

If you don't want to attend industry meetings yourself, then you best make sure that your gear group can.

Strength in Unity!

Dale
ATA