CALL TO ACTION: BOARD of FISHERIES

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CALL TO ACTION: BOARD of FISHERIES

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Two good Board of Fisheries members are having a tough time with the reappointment process. As proven through their actions, Vince Webster (Bristol Bay gillnetter) and Tom Kluberton (Talkeetna angler/lodge owner) are reasonable, approachable, fair-minded, and dedicated to sustainability and fisheries for all.

Sport interests in the Kenai are unhappy because these two don't always vote their way.

I hope you'll consider calling legislators or sending a public opinion message (Alaskan's only) at the following link. Action needed ASAP, as the legislature will take final action on this over the next few days. ATA's letter below.

Public Opinion Messages
http://www.legis.state.ak.us/poms/

Thanks!

Dale
ATA
Attachments
BOF Appointments Webster and Klubertoncomm,040113no sig.pdf
(227.7 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: CALL TO ACTION: BOARD of FISHERIES

Post by Salty »

My name is Eric Jordan. I am a 63 year Alaska resident. I have subsistence, sport, and commercial fished every one of those years. I have been attending BOF meetings since 1973. I have served on dozens of appointed and elected fisheries groups through the years. Last year I spent two weeks in Ketchikan working with the BOF. I support the confirmation of both Mr Webster and Mr. Kluberton to the Board.
Alaska is fortunate to have these two gentlemen of high character and dedication to our fisheries volunteer to serve again.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Well it looks like the Kenai sport fish lobby got to the Alaska legislators because Mr WEBSTER went down.The problem with him gone is who will come up next.I'm really surprized Senator Stedman voted against Webster.Webster was fair to SE in my mind.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Well, they did it again. The Legislature has denied appointment of a good Board member - on a vote of 29-30 - thanks to the outrageous wranglings of the Kenai River Sportfishing Assn.

Today, Tom Kluberton was appointed and Vince Webster was let go.

Many thanks to Vince for his 6 years of service!

Thanks too, to our Southeast legislators - ALL who voted in support of Vince.

Disgusted.

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

John,
The sheet I had showed Bert voting for Webster.

It is a lot to ask anyone to serve on the Alaska Board of Fisheries. It does not lead to accolades or higher political office, it does not pay in accordance to the work and judgement required, and it requires being away from home living in hotel rooms for a good part of the year. Vince was a good board member in my opinion and I have been working with BOF members since 1973. It is a sad state of affairs for Alaska when a man like that can not get confirmed.

It is a bad news day for trollers and Annette Funicello died.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Thanks for pointing out that Sen. Stedman voted for Webster glad to hear that.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Finally, someone is willing to call it like it is!

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-Jou ... z2QH1odpxL

Dale
ATA