2013 Spring Troll Management Plan

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2013 Spring Troll Management Plan

Post by ata »

Hi All:

The spring management plan has been published. Be sure to check out the new areas and look for possible revisions to your normal grounds. You can find information about the spring fisheries here:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... rollspring

Freezer Boat REMINDER: You need an exemption permit to remove heads. You can find the form at the link above. There is a different permit for EACH season.

Fish On!

Dale
ATA
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: 2013 Spring Troll Management Plan

Post by Abundance »

What do people think of the new things? I am personally excited about the new Stone Rock Bay area. It's not on their map, but it is in their management plan. I spent last June weaving in between seine nets at the Kendrick Bay area, and it would be nice to have a spot just south of there for ourselves. Just something to think about, but the seiners were loading up on chums and cohos there in mid-June while I watched. Don't ask how I know, but a line dropped over the side at Cape Chacon in late June will get you a line full of cohos. I am a bit curious about how the new June 1st coho retention could work down there. The king fishing at Stone Rocks can be legendary when its opened in the past at July 1st, so having a few trips there before that when the price is higher could be good. It sounds like this spring might be our main king season, the way our summer quota is looking. I don't know enough about Icy Strait to have much to say about the new Northern Chatham area, or the chum retention only plan. I think that one day a week, one thousand fish cap, wont get the Yakutat guys a whole lot, but it is a whole lot better than zero.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 2013 Spring Troll Management Plan

Post by Salty »

We also have an expanded Goddard area south of Sitka.