Intolerable Willful Destruction

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
entropy1
Spammer?: No

Intolerable Willful Destruction

Post by entropy1 »

http://tholepin.blogspot.com/2013/05/in ... ction.html

I tried to copy and paste the table but only the text came through. The link contains the latest Chinook bycatch info.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Intolerable Willful Destruction

Post by Salty »

Thank you entropy. Going to the Kodiak marine trade fair and staffing a booth with videos of the effect of trawling on benthic habitat was one of the most challenging and exhilarating experiences of my life. Kind of glad I was a big guy for that task.

Please keep sharing. Also remember that it is no accident that groundfish trawling is prohibited in both the Federal and State waters off SE Alaska. Linda Behnken was the leader of the drive to prohibit it in Federal Waters. Bob Ellis authored the proposal for SE state waters. Leaders and staff of the Alaska Marine Conservation Council have been working on this problem for many years.
entropy1

Post by entropy1 »

I remember that comfish. I'm glad that trawling is prohibited in SE but I get tired of all the self congratulation. It was a pale shadow of the fight we have inKodiak and the western gulf. You, of all people, know the political realities. Remember what scale pattern analysis and genetic testing have told us about these bycaught kings, they are the same one you trollers fish on and suffer for (Canadian and lower 48) in treaty catch setting.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Long reply deleted. Short version, my record speaks for itself, including a lot of work for Western Alaska, if you want my help don't denigrate it or the work of my friends.
entropy1

Post by entropy1 »

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

I wasn't, and I'm not, denigrating your record. I have a record too, but our records mean shit. Did our records stop the bycatch? NMFS and the NPMFC actually lowered observer coverage on trawlers, that's what our "records" got us. What counts are the wasted Kings, halibut, tanner crab etc that the tholepin guy has brought to attention. Some of these trawlers are killing 1,000 plus kings a boat and who knows how many halibut! For flats and arrowtooth??? What are those fish worth to the troll fleet and your communities?

What I'm tired of is the "we stopped trawling in SE why don't you guys stop it out west?" response I get when I repost tholepin's work. Kodiak, Sandpoint and Dutch ain't Sitka and our records and what happened in SE won't make a difference. We need to figure out what will.

Time to move on, get this out to the greater public, spread the word...
The NPFMC and NMFS don't care but this unnecessary waste can't pass public scrutiny if we can get it out in the open.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Seems to me a lot of the stuff our and previous generations worked on have made a difference and continue to make a difference.

Lets see:
No salmon traps in Alaska,
No finfish farms in Alaska,
High Seas salmon interception minimized,
No herring trawling in Alaska,
Bottom trawling for Pollock prohibited in the Bering Sea,
Ground fish trawling prohibited in SE Alaska.

These were hard fought battles, appreciate them and those warriors as you seek to address the present problems. Keep posting the good information here as many of us are interested both in what is happening and helping.