More bureaucracy B.S.

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
gumpucky

More bureaucracy B.S.

Post by gumpucky »

http://sitkasentinel.com/index.php?opti ... e&Itemid=1
Anybody know anything about the lead story here?I'm too cheap to subscribe to "the Fishwrapper"(sentinel).Cracked me up that Ray poking his head out of his office made news.Wonder if he saw his shadow?
Last edited by gumpucky on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carol W

Re: More bureaucracy B.S.

Post by Carol W »

I am to cheap also but I am not surprised by the headline.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I attended the ports and harbors meeting here in Sitka last night. The article is basically about how anyone involved in the marine transportation business, including the harbor workers and charter operators will need to get certified. Ray wants the training and certification for Sitka to be in Sitka as it will save the harbor dept. over $7,000 in travel and lodging.
I was at the meeting to push for cleaning up the sport fish cleaning stations in the channel as the bio load and sea lion problem from them dumping all their carcasses is untenable. Looks like we are going to transport the carcasses and other offal out to deep water or to the bio-diesel rendering plant. Either way the carcasses will not be in the water.

So, what do you think of your SPC settlement?
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Eric,
Good to see ya onboard.I stumbled on here a couple weeks ago chasing the Gold Dust thread off Craigs list.Was pleasently surprised to see our forum finally come to pass.So as it appears this new licensing won' affect us as commercial skippers???And yes......Whats up with our chum settlement.Tom was alluding to more chum money on the final settlement.Do you think that'll bring it up to the pre season speculation?
Last edited by gumpucky on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocean Gold

Alternate fuel?

Post by Ocean Gold »

Has anyone looked into bio-plants? Or talked to a hydrolizing (protien) operation for all the waste? it seemed in SE we were a little light on production from any one company but with all the waste in a town it might add up.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

When I was at last weeks Ports and Harbors meeting here in Sitka it came out that our 20 million pounds or so of seafood waste in Sitka could be turned into about 200,000 gallons of biodiesel. Grant Miller is working on some grants to set up a plant to make the conversion. We could also throw in a bunch more poundage in the charter carcasses.
Ocean Gold

Oil wells in Sitka

Post by Ocean Gold »

I did see Grants artical , there are untold riches out there in the ocean. maybe we can find a use for arrowtooth flounder and skate bodys.