Norway reference

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norway reference

Post by Once and Future »

I think political arguments are misplaced on this site. But I am providing a link to an article on how Norway has handled their oil resources. http://news.yahoo.com/norwegians-become ... ector.html I think it is relevant due to Alaska's oil controversies.

I offer it as just food for thought. It shows there is a different way to run a country than turning it over to Democrats and Republicans.

Of course, we learned on this site that Norway has abandoned their small boat fishing fleet, so I'm not saying they're immaculate either.

Something else missing in our country nowadays is a functional news media. I watched a video on the web this week about some activists that exposed some illegal activities by the FBI in the 1960's. The video had clips of the TV network news anchors of the time reporting on the story. And I was impressed by the gravity of their deliveries and the dignity of their news programs. "Dignity." I don't associate that word with the news media today, do you?

Again, I don't want to get a political discussion going on here. Actually, there are thoughtful comments from differing viewpoints submitted to the article I have provided a link to.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Norway reference

Post by ata »

Hi Once and Future...

I appreciate this article and think that sharing ideas, but not flaming debate, is a really good purpose of this site. Hooray for Jon!

Saw another reference to Alaska's Permanent Fund this week - you know the one, where all us Alaskan's are given free money so we don't have to work? Setting that aside, a really important purpose of the fund sounds similar to what Norway is doing...Alaska is saving for a rainy day. Folks can debate whether or not we've had some rain already, or how monies should be allocated when we do, but there is no denying that some of our more visionary state leaders were thinking ahead to the day the wells run dry.

Totally agree with your take on the news... sure miss Cronkite and his buddies.=)

Like you, not looking to stir things up, but do appreciate being pointed in a direction to learn about the new and different - here and abroad.

Thanks!

Dale
ATA
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Just so you know. As a long time Democrat I feel flamed when anyone compares my party to the Republican party of today in Alaska. Similar to how I feel when trollers are compared to trawlers. There is a big difference to me.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I am only half Norwegian.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Dale, thank you for your comments.

Salty, if you want to get pissed off over my bi-lateral comments, help yourself. I am not going to argue with you. It's counter-productive.
akfish
Spammer?: No

Post by akfish »

OaF, you are 100% about the news media! They have let the current adminstration off the hook completely on all levels. Its a shame people dont report facts instead trying to hide the truth. Our country is headed in a horrible direction. Very sad.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I don't get PO. Just pointing out that the difference between Republicans and Democrats in Alaska is as much as between Trollers and Trawlers. Organizing this week to help shore up the couple of Republicans in our State Senate who are resisting HB 77, passed by our Republican house and backed by the Parnell Administration.
I believe discussion of Fisheries politics is necessary and important, even if difficult, particularly on the Fisheries Regulations and Politics thread.