2014 Chinook Quota

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2014 Chinook Quota

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Attached should be two press releases on the king season. The all-gear quota is 440,000 and the troll portion is 325,000. Both Canadian quotas were also increased, due to a variety of healthy stocks along the coast. That 1.6 million fish forecast for Columbia River brights is no small part of the equation.

So, great news...until you remember that unwarranted 15% cut we took in 2009.

Cheers!

Dale
ATA
Attachments
2014 Chinook Quota Allocation.pdf
(95.47 KiB) Downloaded 1786 times
2014 Quota Announcement.pdf
(141.92 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Re: 2014 Chinook Quota

Post by Kelper »

Thanks Dale!
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

You bet. I just wish it was the 506,000 that Southeast fishermen deserved this year. We'll keep working to try and improve the situation!=)
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

What's your prediction on whether they'll do the "In-Season" management mentioned in the release?
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

I learned long ago to not even try to predict such things. There is a variety of discussion going on right now about this year's Chinook fishery. I'll report back if I get any solid information on 'in-season v. number of days management', or other items of interest.

Watch this space...

dk
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Thanks for posting the good news Dale.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Dale, you in Wrangell for this evening's meeting? Somebody here will have some raffle-tickets for me to buy tonite, tho I bet. :-)
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Dale what happened with the five year review in the treaty process?I presume if the chinook runs were weak we'd sure be hearing about it but again the sword only seems to cut one way.Kinda like the total mortality deal.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Curmudgeon... probably apparent I didn't make the meeting. Will PM you my cell number and I'll gladly take your offer right over the phone!=)

Anyone else out there want raffle tickets? shoot me an email and we'll fix you up. The raffle will be held on April 30... if you have tickets that say March, no worries - they are good. We had to postpone, so there's still time to be a big winner. The prize list is pretty great. I'm sure Curmudgeon has his eye on the roundtrip on the Wrangell travel lift - there are similar prizes and other cool stuff...oh, and cash.$$$=)

dk
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi John:

Like most things Treaty, 5-year review is a long story, but at the end the issue boiled down to money. No one was resisting doing it, that I know of, which is different than the other issue you reference. The federal budget has hit the PSC so hard that our commissioner's had to spend most of the key meetings this year trying to figure out how to keep data and research going. Our commissioners are in DC right now, hoping to pull a rabbit from the hat.

Cheers!

Dale
ATA