Run Forecast Report and Earnings Quartiles

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Run Forecast Report and Earnings Quartiles

Post by curmudgeon »

Just issued:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/SP14-10.pdf

And the 2013 Earnings Quartiles:
http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/quartile/X_S15B.HTM

We knew it was a good year!
Kelper

Re: Run Forecast Report and Earnings Quartiles

Post by Kelper »

Thanks for the link.

Now, I heard at the ADFG port meeting that somebody, somewhere was fighting to get back the 15% we lost at the last treaty, due to the very healthy WA runs. Did my ears hear that right, and would somebody care to elaborate on that?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Wow,
Thanks for this. Wonder what the net from trolling is. 10% of gross?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

This is crazy, one of our best years ever, great price, and only 73 trollers averaged only $124 or so thousand? This fleet is in a lot worse shape than I thought. After all the dock talk I thought I was the only one struggling. These figures show me that only about 75 guys could barely make a living if all the income they had came from trolling. Thank god we can sell all these beautiful pictures and stories.
Drew

Post by Drew »

The statistics are just fish sold at dock price so there's probably a lot of freezer boats that are represented a lot lower in the table than where they actually are.

There were about twice as many boats out at the winter line last weekend as during the week, which tells me that a lot of people aren't trying to live only on trolling.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I wonder how the SPC settlements factor into it too? If the settlement comes in higher than the dock price, then those numbers would be off a bit too.

Also, do those numbers take the winter/spring fishing into account?
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

CFEC just released these 2013 numbers. They wait until the settlements are issued, so, except for guys that direct market by shipping containers out and selling all winter on their own, these numbers should be pretty close.
But yes, bottom line is, you gotta have a day-job to make a family living from trolling!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Rethinking this a bit. I have always considered the years I made more than $100,000 trolling a success. While there is not much profit for me in trolling there is the chance to make boat improvements, go to fish expo, pay the crew a bonus, and upgrade the fishing technology. But, even those in the top quartile are not doing well comparatively to our longline or net neighbors. Perhaps the big king quota and improving troll access to Alaska hatchery salmon will change the picture for us.
But, the joy of catching salmon on a lure and producing the best quality food on earth in this beautiful place has a value beyond dollars.