60 Minutes and Fish Farming

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

60 Minutes and Fish Farming

Post by ata »

Hi All:

Sunday May 11 at 6:00pm AK time, 60 Minutes will air a story on fish farming on CBS. You should be able to see the show online at the link below. George Eliason F/V Tami Lynn, Pete Knudsen, a WA gillnetter, and Alexandra Morton of Canada were interviewed by Dr. Sanja Gupta, whom you might also recognize from CNN.

George's dad, Senator Dick Eliason and Representative Ben Grussendorf were responsible for securing the ban on fish farming in Alaska. George was on the ATA Board when we worked on this legislation and has served for quite some time on the SPC board. He has a very clear understanding not only of the industry point of view, but the evolution of the issue and policy development in Alaska. I'm sure he and the others did an outstanding job.

Can't wait to watch the show - hope you'll all tune in!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/salmon-farm ... ld-salmon/

Dale
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 60 Minutes and Fish Farming

Post by ata »

My apologies to George - botched the name of his boat... the good ship Tammy Linn.

ATA worked with CBS crew on the background for this story and got George involved. Just one of the many types of things we do on this issue and the all the others that affect the troll fleet and the resources we rely on. I hope you're a member!

dk
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 60 Minutes and Fish Farming

Post by John Murray »

Good job George,in much fewer words you covered a lot of the positive direction Alaska has gone.The spin doctor from Marine Harvest although a pro at PR talked the same old party line,very slick at skirting the issues and good smoke screens.One of the things that got me was the comment's on world food needs.Yes some of what he says is true but the need wouldn't be as great if we took care of habitat,water quality/quantity and fish stocks.
There has been some blow back from the press in BC on the comment's on habitat devastation in Canada.One news paper turned that comment around and point out devastation's in the lower 48 not BC.There's enough blame to go around for sure.One thing missing was not a mention is BC fishing fleet's harm.Every boat up here in our fleet once supported fishing families in BC.Its a sad commentary on mismanagement/misdirection of a BC's fish resources.