Board of Fish & ATA

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Board of Fish & ATA

Post by Salty »

Great comments. I really liked all of them about seeing the bigger picture. Which makes me chuckle as I have often been teased for thinking "beyond the horizon". As an example I offer this story. I was serving on a community committee helping to select a new superintendent of schools in Sitka about 15 years ago. We were all asked to submit one question which a couple of the committee members would prioritize and ask the three finalists. The question I submitted, which was not selected to be asked was: "Where do you want to be buried?"
While we did not ask the question to the candidates the question provoked a great deal of discussion within the committee and I was asked to explain why I thought that was an important and appropriate question. I pointed out that one of the big problems we have in Alaska, especially rural Alaska, is finding people who will become committed to and integrated fully into our community. Asking people to share their thoughts about where they want to be buried often reveals their thinking about the importance of place in their lives. For those of us who have chosen to live in rural Alaska place is if not the most important consideration then one of the most deciding factors. It seemed to me like an appropriate question for a person we were trusting to lead the schooling of our children for the next few years.
The man we hired heard about this unasked question and initiated a discussion with me about it a couple of years later. He told me he planned to be buried in Sitka and lives here now with several grandchildren. I still get comments about this question from time to time, usually in social settings.
So, while I am trying to communicate to the the readers of this forum about my perspective on the importance of focusing for the next two months on specific BOF proposals, don't think I don't have an eye on the bigger picture. For example: How many of our readers will be back in DC for the Inauguration meeting with our new Senator and other new decision makers? I will be there. If you will be there lets get together.
I am going to start initiating comments on specific BOF proposals now. I think I will start with 315 since I authored it and it can be worth a lot to Yakutat.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

The list of proposals i have shows 315 as a proposal pertaining to dolly Varden fishing in Ketchikan Cr.?
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Let's try out jon's new chatroom.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I meant proposal 321.
Ocean Gold

Post by Ocean Gold »

Here is the one for you to ponder the charters told us " they want there fair and equitable share of the hatchery kings and coho" now in my mind that is "0" we may end up at least 20% that the commercail troll fleet has to give up.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Thanks for the end of year rant yak by yak,many of us share your frustration.But in a month and one half Bof will meet in Sitka. There are a number of proposals which will keep you fishing and give the troll fleet more oppourtunity.Others to contain and help make the charters fish substainably.Consider coming to Sitka for BOF there's lots to learn and do.Then in March lets go get some kings to pay the courthouse bill.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Yet another friendly reminder....

How's your Board of Fisheries comments and testimony coming along?

It's really important that you start thinking about your written - and, hopefully, oral - testimony for the Board of Fisheries. Encourage your family, friends, and associates! Strength in numbers...

The Board of Fish shellfish meeting is set for later this month - January 21, in Petersburg. Comments are coming RIGHT UP - like, TOMORROW (Jan 9) for that meeting!

The Board of Fish finfish meeting begins February 17th at Harrigan Hall in Sitka. Comments are due Feb.3, and, yes, they mean BY 5pm.

Other February Meeting Events:
** The ATA Board will be meeting Feb. 15-17 at Harrigan Hall in Sitka - ATA members and invited guests welcome!
** ATA will host a port meeting for all trollers - probably the 16th.
** Plus, look for the trollers break out room that we'll have set up at Harrigan Hall starting the 17th. All trollers welcome. There will be people and equipment to help you with last minute testimony work, or a chair if you need to take a break away from the main meeting.
** ATA 18th Annual Raffle: Friday night, Feb. 20, at the Westmark Shee Atika

Plan to get involved in both Board of Fisheries meetings if they are appropriate to your business plan. You can search out information on both at the links below. ATA is focused on the February finfish meeting.

TESTIMONY
Written testimony can be as long as you want. Oral testimony should be 3 minutes or less. For many people, 3 minutes is two and a half pages - size 12 font - double spaced. Be sure to make it sound like you talk - less likely to stumble that way. Read it over and over to get the timing right and become more comfortable. I realize you'd rather [insert your least favorite thing here] than speak in public, but three minutes can go pretty fast.=)

I encourage you to drop me an email if you're working on finfish proposals and either want to know ATA's position, or need some help figuring out where to search out information.

Warning: I'll be leaving town Sunday for a treaty meeting in Vancouver, BC. There is also a treaty meeting in Portland the week before the February Board of Fish meeting. Email will be best point of contact for me during these meetings, but I'm usually not on it much more than a couple times a day when on the road. Cell phone means big roaming fees when in Canada, so I won't return many calls, either. I will return to the office on January 20th. If you call the office, just leave a message if you don't get me - with a best time call back- the answering service is great about getting messages to me a couple times a day - please, just don't tell them it's an 'emergency', unless it really is!

Finding a board member to talk to is another option, and also very helpful if you would like the ATA Board to consider a compromise position - see names below.

So ... think Board of Fish - read the finfish proposal book and start penning those notes. Don't over think it - no one on the Board of Fish is more the expert on trolling than each of you. Make your point - less can be more - it's just very important that you comment, and, if possible, show up and say it in person, too!

If you haven't been getting the ATA newsletter, give me a call so I can make sure we have your proper mailing address. We will have a bit more Board of Fish info for the fleet in upcoming mailings.

Finally, be on the lookout for the ATA webpage. Had hoped to launch this week, but... anyway, check the site once in awhile and hopefully you'll see it up very soon: http://www.aktrollers.org Comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism always welcome - it's going to be a work in progress, particularly at the start.

Over and Out...

Dale, ATA

BOARD OF FISH
Southeast/Yakutat Shellfish - January 21-27 Petersburg COMMENTS DUE: 5pm January 9
Proposal Book: http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fish ... props2.pdf

Southeast/Yakutat Finfish February 17-26 Sitka COMMENTS DUE: 5pm February 3
Proposal Book: http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fish ... props2.pdf

Send comments by mail or fax to:
Shannon Stone/Scott Crass
Board Support
Box 115526
Juneau, AK 99811-5526
(907)465-4110 phone
(907)465-6094

Please also sent ATA a copy:

ata@gci.net