SE Enhanced Salmon Allocation Plan

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SE Enhanced Salmon Allocation Plan

Post by Salty »

Troll allocation %.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
DiamondLil

Re: SE Enhanced Salmon Allocation Plan

Post by DiamondLil »

Hello Salty,
Some explanation of the graph would be helpful. Is this pointing out that the troll catch of NSRAA and SSRAA fish is below the target range based on value? This represents all species and trollers catch significant amounts of only two (or maybe three)? If so, what's the solution, raise more kings? Did I miss the whole thing?
Joe
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great Questions and I did not realize the graph had come through. I have to go put the grandchildren to bed now. Tomorrow I will try and figure out how to post the excel graphs directly here. Still learning.

The short answer is that the graph includes all the value of all the SE commercially harvested enhanced salmon which includes DiPac, NSRAA, SSRAA, Sheldon Jackson, Snettisham and anyone else. Trollers catch significant amounts of Chum, coho, and Chinook. In some years the value of troll harvested hatchery chums has exceeded the value of troll hatchery coho and chinook combined. I don't have those figures for the last few years and it has probably changed. I will try to work those up.
The first step is to inform as many people of the problem as possible. After enough trollers are outraged then you can join with some of us in crafting solutions or propose your own solutions.

Here are the latest figures that I just worked up for 2007. A further explanation of what all this means follows.

xls[/attachment]

I think I am going to post the latest work here and start a new thread. I am posting it here and also sharing it with NSRAA and others from all gear groups so everyone can start realizing that we have a problem. A multimillion dollar imbalance problem.
A bit of history is important here for new readers. I have been involved in fisheries politics since sitting in on troller meetings conducted by my father "Skip" Jordan in the late 50's. I have made a lot of enemies over the years in the troll fleet by representing handtrollers in the late 70's and by proposing conservation minded regulations like outlawing treble hooks and going barbless in our troll fishery. I have also antagonized my peers by being a liberal on social and environmental issues while most of the fleet are either Republican or Independent politically. Recently I have been at odds with the ATA board over the management of the winter and spring fisheries. Nevertheless I am a member and strong supporter of ATA.
I have been attending Board of Fisheries meetings and speaking at them representing groups from trout fishermen to chum trollers since 1973. I have had the great honor of serving on all kinds of fisheries and conservation boards including the Sitka Advisory Committee, ATA, NSRAA, NPFMCAP, the Southeast Regional Subsistence Advisory Board, and the Board of Fisheries. Some of the differences I have helped make over the years include:
Working with Dexter Kyle and others to help found NSRAA;
Settling the Hand and Power Troll disputes in the late 70's;
Making the motion at ATA to set up the troll task force in the early 90's that defined our winter fishery;
Developing the round pink and chum troll fisheries near Sitka and in Cross Sound;
Facilitating task group sharing and conservation on issues as diverse as Sockeye and Halibut;
Working out chum troller opportunity with seiners, gillnetters, and NSRAA for many years.

I emphasize help because the way things seem to work is that it takes a lot of people pulling together to get any thing done. I can't remember a single important thing that I accomplished all by myself.

That it is why it is so important to those of you reading this that you share it with your fellow trollers and others so that an understanding that we have a problem starts building. My experience is that activism is born in outrage. The difference in value between what we (trollers) are allocated by Board of Fisheries regulation and what we are harvesting of enhanced salmon in SE is outrageous :x.

Here are the figures:

We are allocated between 27 and 32 percent of the value of SE enhanced salmon harvested by the commercial gear groups. Between 1993 and 2007 according to Joint Regional Planing team figures the total value of the SE enhanced salmon harvest was $271,748,472.97. Our share at the midpoint of our allocation 29.5% would be
$80,165,799.53. What we actually harvested was $52,461,440.44. The difference is
-$27,704,359.09.

The seiners and gillnetters both have proposals to address the allocation plan. Seiners to get a better deal because they have fallen out of the minimum of their allocation the last few years and gillnetters because they have gone so far above their allocation that they don't want the sites primarily benefiting gillnetters to be counted in the SE enhanced formula. The Joint Regional Planning Team, made up of two trollers, two gillnetters, and two seiners has proposed #273 to improve the seiners situation by changing the regulation for days in Deep Inlet from 2 gillnet to 1 seine to 1-1. I understand this was a 4-2 vote on the team with the gillnetters opposing.
I support this proposal because the seiners have fallen below their share for the last five year rolling average. But they have just fallen below it and if you look at the historical shares from 1993 both the seiners and gillnetters are well above their share. It is the trollers who have been, are, and likely will continue to be well below their share. Here are the figures.
The seiners allocated share at the midpoint of their allocation 46.5% would be $126,363,039.93.
What they actually have harvested is $133,156,751.76.
The difference is $12,111,640.85.

The gillnetters allocated share at the midpoint of their allocation 26.5% would be $$72,013,345.34.
What they have actually harvested is $80,812,351.75.
The difference is $8,799,006.41.

This is the historical perspective. I will post some of the recent figures and ideas for solutions later. The thing to remember from all this is that there is a SE enhanced salmon sharing plan. It is not working for trollers. It is outrageous that we are so far behind.[attachment=0]2007 percentages and imbalance.
Attachments
2007 percentages and imbalance.xls
(16 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Internet problems darn it.

I have typed this darn post three times and it keeps crashing when I try and connect the ADF&G regulation. Anyway the pertinent regulation # is 5AAC 33.364.

It allocates the value of the commercial harvest of SE area enhanced salmon as follows:

Trollers 27-32%
Seiners 44-49%
Gillneters 24-29%
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

When it does the "crash" thing your talking about, where it makes you re-type in your user name and password, then takes you to an empty page,,, back up a couple of pages and hit refresh. If it doesn't do it, try the page on either side of that one, eventually it will hit the right page and post it for you even though you can't see what you wrote anymore. I'm not sure how I got lucky enough to figure that out. I had some big, long winded, entries i was trying to save when I was writing a story and it did the "crash" thing to me and I though I lost the whole hour's worth of work, but I tried the refresh trick and it worked. I've had to do it a couple of times since, it post what I wrote every time. In this case you might try attaching the regs. to your post, let it do the crash thing, then try the refresh, might do it for you,
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Will try it.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/fo ... B@21161%7D?
This should take you to the allocation plan.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The Problem:
Since 1994 the total commercial value of SE enhanced salmon is $306,475,385. Yahoo!! :D

Trollers have harvested $56,928,851 or 19%.

Their minimum share is $82,748,354 @ 27%

The difference is $25,819,503! :(

The trollers share at 29.5% midpoint of their allocation range would be $90,410,239.

The difference is $33,481,388. :cry:

The trollers share at 32% would be $98,072,123. :D

The difference is $41,143,272!!! :x

I have been invited, by both troll and seine representatives to go to a SE enhancement allocation workshop next Monday in Ketchikan. Chip Blair and Steve Reifenstuhl of NSRAA have worked up a presentation on the imbalance and developed a model for trying to figure out what actions it would need to take to bring the trollers back into their allocation range. There is some talk, especially by gillnetters, that trollers should just give up their allocation and be satisfied with 15-20%.

I think we should fight like hell to get within our allocated range as soon as possible.

What do you think?

Want to hear or propose some ideas for getting there?
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

I am going to rpt next week to moniter allocation plan.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Tom,
Are you going to the allocation workshop on Monday?
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Eric yes I am going as frustrated as I am at the schedule of meetings I have had this fall I plan on attending the workshop. Seems like evry 10 to 15 days since Oct 9th I have a major round of meetings to attend, I wonder what ever happen to my hippie handtroller days.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I am still looking for a place to crash Sunday and Monday night. Which hotel is most convenient to the meeting?