Affordable catch accounting in the charter sector

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Affordable catch accounting in the charter sector

Post by Katlian »

Dear concerned fishing partners,

I was recently in Canada with a friend shopping for trollers. We couldn't figure out what all the colorful stripes were aboard all the longliners. It turns out that Canadian longliners are now on 100% electronic monitoring. They hold each fish caught infront of the lines so the camera can record it's stats before it is brought onboard. They had an additional camera in the trolling pit. The pit camera was triggered by a sensor mounted on the gurdies. They could not run gear without the camera turning on. After much bemoaning of "the man", we agreed that if this kind of regulation is required to keep a fishery legal, it was cheaper than having a live observer with you all the time.

I think that a similar system can be used to accurately account for the amount of fish harvested by the charter fishing sector in Alaska. The voluntary log book program, an understaffed survey crew, and an after thought telephone survey has not produced data that can be fully relied on.

Alaska already has laws in place requiring exterior labels on all fish boxes leaving the state at airports. With a small investment in electronic recording equipement, the data could be collected to track all charter exports. Imagine if every single wetlock leaving the state was actually counted. I feel that the true harvest numbers would be much larger than the current estimate provided. If their actual catch is considered and reflected in policy management, I know the ocean is big enough for us all.

slr

image of measurement strips
http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/image ... ber=NW2721

image of camera on poles
http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/image ... mber=LW379
Carol W

Re: Affordable catch accounting in the charter sector

Post by Carol W »

Be careful what you ask for Big brother already wants to invade our business, lets not give them an invite and by asking for this with charters the argument becomes what is good for the goose is good for the gandor.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I don't have any problem with an accounting for our commercial fish air mailed out. They are already accounted for on fish tickets, processor records etc.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Katlian I'm not saying your ideas aren't good,but as far as accountabity goes there's something already heading down the tracks.If you can check out proposal's286,a very similar one 287 also 288,289.There is a need for some support on this array of proposals.
Its common sense stuff which will move the charter industry closer to accountabity and give everyone a more real picture of who's taking what.
There are a few other proposals which deal with enforcement access to vessels,lodges and processing facilities.Sitka sound seafood can't deny access to F&G enforcement .Why should some lodges be allowed to?
sixlines

Post by sixlines »

Guy's I've thought about this for a long time now.I think the only way to really monitor the sportfishery is resort to a punch card system that they get when they buy thier license.have them turn them in to local ADF&G before departing the community that their fishing.We have a big problem with fishermen double limiting around yakutat.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Sixlines Please check PROPOSAL 288 and 289 that's there intent.PROPOSAL310 deals with accountabily also.Those proposals need support by AC's.writen comments to BOF ]by Feb'3 09.At least the concept of these need support if you don;t agree with all of the language.