Insuring the fisherman

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Insuring the fisherman

Post by Once and Future »

This came up before, I think, but we did not nail down an answer, and it is an important topic we can't afford to be confused on. What is the maximum payout under the Fisherman's Fund if a crew member is severely injured or killed? How about for the captain?

Perhaps someone could steer me where to find an answer without causing me to read the entire Alaska State Statutes.

I heard one former captain who said Fisherman's Fund would take care of everything. I have also heard the maximum payout is less than a thousand dollars. How can I be sure?
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Insuring the fisherman

Post by ata »

Hi Once and Future...

I'll try to help with a couple of your questions, but am no expert on the program - if what I say here doesn't seem right, do not hesitate to call the state for clarification (Toll Free: (888) 520-2766). I urge you all to check in with the state and acquaint yourself with the program long before you ever need to use the Fishermen's Fund. There are lots of boxes to check if you want to get reimbursed, so you have to pay attention to the details. That said, I know many fishermen who have been helped by, and are grateful for, this program.

Note that the fund only covers those medically documented injuries and illnesses directly related to the commercial fishing activities of properly licensed permit holders and deckhands operating on land or in Alaska waters. Proper paperwork must be completed by both the fisherman and the doctor.

>>>What is the maximum payout under the Fisherman's Fund

$10,000, unless there are compelling reasons, which are defined along with the process for making the ask for a larger payment.

The fund only covers certain types of things, and there are rules that need to be followed. For instance, you must have a current fishing license at the time of injury (for permits that means the embossed date!) and seek treatment within 60 days of that injury. Claims must be filed within one year of the injury/illness. Be diligent about follow up, because they can drop your claim if you don't respond to any questions in a timely way.

The Fishermen's Fund is a payer of last resort, so if you have P&I, or some other coverage, you must first go through that carrier. Any unpaid balance can be submitted to Fishermen's Fund for payment, at least if the charges are allowable under the fund rules.

A Council of fishermen meets a couple times a year to review irregular claims that can't be immediately paid.

There is an appeals process.

>>>How can I be sure?

As with most things, study up and ask a lot of questions. Here's the best site for reading up on the program and making contact with people who run it:
http://labor.state.ak.us/wc/ffund.htm#W ... %20Covered
Toll Free: (888) 520-2766

Hope that helps!

Dale
ATA
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Insuring the fisherman

Post by Once and Future »

Yes, that helps. Fisherman's Fund alone is not adequate, in my mind. That is what I figured. Thank you!