Board of Fish - PLEASE READ AND ACT BY APRIL 18

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Board of Fish - PLEASE READ AND ACT BY APRIL 18

Post by ata »

Hi All:

You may have heard that the Governor intends to call the legislature back into an expensive special session if they keep monkeying around and fail to confirm his appointees, most noteably Robert Ruffner - ATA's pick for the Board of Fisheries. The legislature is scheduled to vote on this matter the final day of the session, April 19th.

Thought trollers might be interested in the piece below by candidate Ruffner. I've met with and spoken to Mr. Ruffner a number of times during his legislative ordeal. The committee hearings have been grueling and, at times, unprofessional and just plain awful - an embarrassment to we Alaskans. Check it out below if you have some time. This guy in no way deserves the treatment he's getting. It's great he's standing up for himself.

Hearing:
The argument being used most by Ruffner's opposition is 'balance'. There is no requirement in law to 'balance' the BOF the way they want, which is 3 commercial, 3 sport, and 1 subsistence/or ? In fact, the statute regarding BOF appointees specifically speaks to 'diversity', and there are a couple hundred fisheries in the state and lots of regions to 'balance', if you aim to diversify the board.

Opponents are basing their 'balance' argument on an appointment policy first implemented by Gov. Hickel - during his 1990s era term. This was brought about under heavy pressure from a well-heeled, radical faction of Southcentral and interior sport and personal use fishermen. Every appointee since has been subjected to abuse by the this crowd and the Southcentral and Interior legislators that support them; 'balance' is an often heard a battle cry. Bad enough when it's commercial types from the Kenai that they are used to doing battle with, but Ruffner is not one of those. His track record of conservation and team building appears quite pristine.

I don't think there is anything we can do to persuade those people who will be voting to oppose Ruffner simply based on their own, or a key constituent's, agenda. However, our own delegation could probably use some affirmation that Robert Ruffner is an intelligent, viable candidate for BOF. No, he's not a fisherman, but at least he's smart, hardworking, cares about the resource, and has no particular axes to grind. I think ATA made a good choice endorsing him, and hope you do to. If so, please send a quick note of encouragement to our legislators. Here are their addresses:

Representative.Cathy.Munoz@akleg.gov
Representative.Dan.Ortiz@akleg.gov
jonathan.s.kt@gmail.com
Representative.Sam.Kito.III@akleg.gov
Senator.Bert.Stedman@akleg.gov
Senator.Dennis.Egan@akleg.gov
Sen.Gary.Stevens@akleg.gov

So scroll down and read Ruffner's letter below, to get a sense of who he is. I'll also attach ATA's letter of support, FYI. I hope you'll write our legislators an email right away. Don't worry about writing a lot - short is better - just make folks aware that you think Ruffner is worthy of their vote. The point is mostly so that our legislators can remind the legislature that there are other regions in the state, and that they are hearing that Ruffner is a good candidate from fishing constituents with no vested interest in the Kenai River, Cook Inlet, Anchorage, etc.

What the Board of Fish process needs first and foremost are people who listen to everyone, demand good data and accountability from the agencies, put the needs of the resource first, and then works to fairly distribute conservation burdens and the allowable catch amongst a region's user groups. How can we ask for anything more than that? ATA believes Robert Ruffner is up to the task.

ATA has also backed Orville Huntington, for re-appointment to the Board of Fish.

Thanks!

Dale

AS 16.05.221. Boards of Fisheries and Game.
(a) For purposes of the conservation and development of the fishery resources of the state, there is created the Board of Fisheries composed of seven members appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by a majority of the members of the legislature in joint session. The governor shall appoint each member on the basis of interest in public affairs, good judgment, knowledge, and ability in the field of action of the board, and with a view to providing diversity of interest and points of view in the membership. The appointed members shall be residents of the state and shall be appointed without regard to political affiliation or geographical location of residence. The commissioner is not a member of the Board of Fisheries, but shall be ex officio secretary.

Alaska Board of Fish nominee Robert Ruffner makes his case

Anchorage Daily News
Robert Ruffner

April 15, 2015

OK, we’re all Alaskans and we seem to love a good political fight. We really like to fight about fish. So grab the popcorn for the next round. If you’re following this, then you’ve seen half a dozen editorials, letters to the editor and stories over my nomination to the Alaska Board of Fisheries, all written by someone else. Most recently from an out-of-state individual paid to advance one group’s vision. With a couple days to go before the Legislature makes a decision, you need to hear from the applicant himself.

My name is Robert Ruffner. I’m a married, dedicated father of two young daughters and a proud dipnetter from the Kenai who can’t think of any better way to get fish onto the average Alaskans’ table. Every sockeye in my freezer and in jars on our shelf came from a dipnet. I harvest near my family’s limit and we eat every one. I will support and defend access to these fish and work very hard to improve the access of this fishery to ensure its continued success. What is needed moving forward is a better understanding and appreciation of these fisheries importance to the average Alaskan and recognition that each has unique challenges.

For nearly 20 years I’ve been working for more fish for all. Working collaboratively with all user groups we have done as much or more than anyone else on the Kenai Peninsula to improve habitat and make sure we have clean water in our streams. So, ensuring that fish get to spawning grounds is my first priority. My 20-year track record clearly proves that. Fish first is not a slogan for me, it’s an avocation. For years I focused on habitat, staying out of the Cook Inlet fights swirling all around me. I believe this gives me a unique perspective and the experience required to make tough calls while remaining focused on the big picture rather than the “us” versus “them” mentality.

This unwillingness to be a representative of a single interest has opened me to some criticism from select special interests pushing their own hand-picked candidate. I am proud of my work to protect habitat as executive director of the Kenai Watershed Forum for nearly 20 years, bringing together a broad set of stakeholders including companies such as: Apache, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Hillcorp, Tesoro, Unocal and many other businesses and corporations that have invested a great deal in the forum. I’m proud of my record of conservation; there will be no apologies here for that, but to brand me as some kind of radical flies in face of the facts.

To enact conservation in depleted fisheries means that I’m going to have to say “no” to user groups and this will come with a great deal of pressure to cave. I’m fully prepared to tell people we need fish to get to their spawning grounds and we need to reduce harvests on our shellfish before it reaches crisis level. The trade-offs are hard when it comes to Alaskans and their fisheries. On the board I will listen to science and the perspective of all Alaskans. Where salmon are at stake, I will closely adhere to the Alaska Sustainable Salmon Policy.

It has been alleged that I am a lackey of commercial fishing interests, and once on the board I am going to do their bidding. When asked on the record if I would vote to keep a conservation corridor in place to allow fish to reach the Matanuska and Susitna drainages, I said I would. If things in the Valley deteriorate and need more consideration, I was asked if I would vote to modify, reduce or even stop commercial fishing to help streams reach escapement goals, I said, absolutely, without hesitation. I’m not afraid to cut back on any of our harvest opportunities when necessary so that my children and your children will have that chance to fish with their kids.

Last, when the above nonsense didn’t stick, the few individuals who opposed my testimony claimed that not residing in Anchorage is my greatest shortcoming. Well, you got me. I’m not from Anchorage. I do live between the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers and am a Soldotna Chamber of Commerce board member. I’m happy folks come down, spend money and catch fish. It is ridiculous to think that I wouldn’t fairly consider everyone, not to mention that the Fish Board is a statewide responsibility although Cook Inlet sucks all the political wind out of the Capitol. I won’t neglect the rest of the state’s fish resources.

Support for my nomination has come from a wide spectrum of the fishery user groups and individuals. Supporters far outweigh detractors, yet I anticipate this will be a close vote. I support all of Alaska’s fisheries, the challenge is to balance and sustain them, as called for in our state constitution. Striking this balance will be a hard job, but a challenge I’m prepared to tackle.

When Alaska legislators vote to confirm my appointment to the Fish Board, they have a clear choice: support singular special interests or confirm me as an advocate for all Alaskan fisheries, who will put fish first in every decision. I believe in placing the public interest over self-interest in every case. So, as the legislative session winds down, I ask you to contact your elected officials, and ask them to vote for me, a Fish Board appointee with a balanced, nonpartisan, “fish first” voice. I promise to not let you down.
Attachments
ATA Supports Robert Ruffner for BOF, 2015ns.pdf
(229.55 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Board of Fish - PLEASE READ AND ACT BY APRIL 18

Post by ata »

Here's another quick way to show support:

https://act.myngp.com/Forms/-3815673684778024960