CORRECTION re: USCG Information

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CORRECTION re: USCG Information

Post by ata »

Hi All:

In a recent newsletter I listed a few of the upcoming USCG requirements. Unfortunately, I misspoke in one area. Not sure if I saw a document with that language, or just fell back to the old rule, which is only important if you also read something with old language. SO...

HERE IS WHAT I WROTE:

If you fish beyond 3NM of the "boundary" line, you need a survival craft the keeps you out of the water by Feb 16, 2016.

THIS IS THE CORRECT VERSION:

If you fish beyond 3NM from the Territorial Sea baseline, you need a survival craft the keeps you out of the water by Feb 16, 2016.

As most of you know, the Territorial Sea baseline is a much different line than the boundary line and will now be used as the reference for all the new regulations (i.e. mandatory exams, survival craft, alternate safety compliance programs etc...).

The USCG is trying to remove the term 'boundary line' from their vocabulary and replace it with 'territorial sea baseline', so if you see 'boundary line' in any documents, then either the document is incorrect, or you have an older version.

Attached is the most recent update from USCG Headquarters on implementation of some of the new regulations.

Thanks to an unknown troller in Wrangell who first pointed this out to the USCG safety folks who then contacted me so I can try to correct my error!

Keep Safe...

Dale
ATA
Attachments
USCG MSIB 018-14 (cor)- CFVS Requirements Update.pdf
(75.61 KiB) Downloaded 2203 times