halibut 2009 ? IPHC, Board of Fish, IFQ?

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Ocean Gold

halibut 2009 ? IPHC, Board of Fish, IFQ?

Post by Ocean Gold »

I will bite, as everyone has heard we are headed for a cut again in halibut. This year after we get back from Vancouver next week, I will post the results of the 2009 catch limits on our page www.seafa.org including where we think the future of halibut is headed. SEAFA is working with several groups on halibut leasing/charter and how it can be done in the near future, we are going to have to figure out how to work with the charter fleet. With the down turn in the economy it will give us a little more time to work out the details and get to a program that is equitable for both sides. But in the meantime we need your help.
Don't let IFQ mean, I was FORCED to QUIT
And Eric aka salty, thank you for the letter/testimony it was right on, that is what everyone need to do.

Petersburg BoF is going to be key in setting the stage for Sitka BoF meeting, there are many proposals that effect all of us in the future.
If there is anyway for people to attend the meeting please do, your fisheries depend on it. Don't wait and say why did they let that happen? There is several proposals that close areas to commercial fishing of one type or another, we can't have this happen for any of the fisheries. In Sitka, the proposal #246 would close all of Coffman Cove and surrounding areas to all commercial fishing. This is to keep all commercial guys from fishing on the City's enhanced king salmon that a few charter guys are releasing. I find this and the other proposals very dangerous and intriguing at the same time, but I am sure the charter operators from Coffman cove are not going respect the line they are trying to draw going the other way into our fish that we enhance. We have been informed that district 11 will be in the next cycle to close all commercial fishing in the area.

Ed
please call with :?:

O by the way I have 324 lbs. of 2c c for sale for $24. after next week there will be less pounds so buy now!!!
Ocean Gold

Re: halibut 2009 ? IPHC, Board of Fish, IFQ?

Post by Ocean Gold »

You waited too long now my block is only 262 lbs. :lol: get involved before it is all gone.
Ocean Gold

Post by Ocean Gold »

Ocean Gold wrote:You waited too long now my block is only 262 lbs. :lol: get involved before it is all gone.
SOLD SOLD SOLD :D

If you are looking for IFQs permits or boats call 9072095400 lots of people upgrading and downsizing we might be able to help
Daniac
Spammer?: No

Post by Daniac »

Thanks for your work on the Halibut issue ED. In "working with the leasing/charter groups" you should check out what they did in BC last year at IQMI.ca
Some commercial guys made some quota available and provided access to the quota at/through IQMI.ca an independent third party (service provider), the recreational and charter groups could go online and lease Halibut quota (above and beyond person allowable limits of one everyday and a two bag limit) by using a credit card, any amount of pounds they like, at the current lease market price. I talked to one recreational guy who accessed quota on his Iphone and instantly received verification the he had the quota on his recreational licence. He then proceeded to catch an extra 200lbs of Halibut that was above his personal limit, boy he was happy, and he paid $900 for what he called closer to 300lbs of fish, he said he applied the largest 2 fish to his personal allowance, it doesn't take long for them to figure it out. Interesting though because a small but loud group of the rec sector folks warned that anyone using the site to access Halibut would suffer their wrath, they are convinced Halibut is their right above everyone else, well same ole rub.
The government viewed this as a positive temporary solution last year and what I hear is they liked it and so it must have had some impact, the hope is it will remain in place this year. The fisherman are working this issue hard because they don't want to see allocation or re-allocation issues get resolved through political arenas. The commercial sector contends this would seriously undermine over 20 years of well documented and successful allocation processes in BC and destabilize the entire Groundfish fishery which is fully allocated. Its an interesting issue and I really enjoy all sides, well those that are balanced and meaning full anyway.

I am sure that IQMI could easily and inexpensively provide the same anyway now that its in place?

Good luck