Yakutat and it's fishermen

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
sixlines

Yakutat and it's fishermen

Post by sixlines »

It's clear to me that some of you that have been reading troller talk these past few days mite think we dont stand together.I'll tell you in the past 30 years the gilnet fishermen and trollers did not get along,until the turn of this century when the sudden drop of the the price of the troll permits.Many net fishermen bought troll permits and it kind of put everybody on the same level of thought.Ten years ago if you said the word hatchery, peaple of Yakutat would not talk to you.Now many if not all streams in the Yakutat area are failing their escapement goals.For the first time possibly in history the situk river,wich is the main stream in yakutat did not meet its bottomend escapment goal.sockeye,king or coho.Last spring at a fish and game advisory board meeting we had to here fish and game tell the board that yakutat has an uplifting of land and in ten years we will have nomore coho habitat and the coho fishery will be gone.I about fell over dead in my seat.The next day I went into the salmon board and started doing research on our possible ways to beat mothernature.Well,I found many different ways that mite help us.For the first time in history Yakutat is filling out hatchery permit aplications.These permits are for kingsalmon egg boxes to start producing kingsalmon.I'm currently reserching a state program like the one taking place in coffmen cove.To recieve state funding Yakutat will have to pay the three percent salmon tax.This state isue I have not presented to board.I also found federal funding for kingsalmon and coho stock rebuilding.The yakutat salmon board is made up of commercial trapper/fishermen,Longliners and even the mayor who just so happens to be our chair at the fish and game advisory board and myself.So if you here or read about somone bashing this board its most likely because these peaple realy arenot verysmart and most likely have steped way out of bounds,And as far as the man that manages the solmon board,Hes one of the smartest guys I know ,Without him our land and watershieds would clearcutt right now.
sixlines

Re: Yakutat and it's fishermen

Post by sixlines »

sorry about the missed words and the spelling ihave 9 kids two dogs and thier going crazy.