Area D & Line Reductions

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Area D & Line Reductions

Post by John Murray »

Could one of the Yak guys explain area D to me also anyone up there know the history of the line reductions in 1980.Thanks
sixlines

Re: Alaska Trollers Association

Post by sixlines »

Well Jon, You know as well as I do what its about.The power troller had 8 lines,the hand troller had 4 state wide.the powertroller lost 4 the and hand troller lost 2 state wide.the power guys got two back a short period later to use in federal waters west of spencer too suckling do to the economics.So now its power has 4,hand has 2 state wide.Except outside 3 miles spencer to suckling power has 6.The only reason I dont cry for power to have 8 lines in federal waters west of spencer is the allocation issue that was in place 80-20 split that no longer is in place.Hand trollers have never got there share.Now we are back to the economics issue for hand trollers west of spencer.If I take on 200 gal of fuel today it would cost me a little over 1000 dollars.If you take on 200 gal of fuel today in Sitka it wont cost you 500.
sixlines

Post by sixlines »

Jon,I fermly believe hand trollers having 4 lines west of spencer will cause no reduction in fishing time for kings in the july opener.What it will do is give some guys a chance to make better with the little time they get to fish cohos in the fall.How many hand crankers are fishing the line in Sitka with you guys in the winter.A buddy of mine is there right now fishing and he told me last night that there is only a couple.Im sure there will be a couple badasses that would go out and hand crank the 50 fathom edge on the fairweather grounds if they could use 4 four lines and I would take my hat off to them.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

I went back to YAKUTAT petion on main page and my board notes to figuire area D thing.I've been working on BOF proposals.So I had change direction to thread together the area D thoughts.
Thanks for the reply about the line history.
sixlines

Re: Area D & Line Reductions

Post by sixlines »

I maid a couple mistakes on my last post.Area D is from cape St elias to Icey cape I do believe and I guess yakutat does want the whole area open.My apalogies to walt the patition writer.

Jeff
kingquota

Post by kingquota »

Hey Jon,
Walter Johnson here (kingquota) in response to your request for the history of Area D (Yakutat) and this is how I remembered it when it took place in the late 70;s.I was the 1st Yakutat Fish and Game Advisory, Fishery Chairman at the time.
During the late 70's, Kings were a a high time LOW and the SOA, Department of F & G (Dept) had the information to prove it. The Dept asked all user groups to forego fishing kings for a few years to allow the kings to recover, which all user groups agreed. In addition, the trollers agreed to have the power trollers to have four lines, from as many as they could run and the Hand trollers to two lines from four intil such time that the Kings could recover for a FEW YEARS. So they closed all of southeast to the retention of kings. Prior to that time, ALL of Southeast was open for fishing for kings, INCLUDING AREA D!
The local department of Fisheries were trying to close Yakutat Breaker fishing at the time and Yakutat fishermen opposed and we went to court in 1979 or 1980. In 1981, when Kings were re-openned for catching and selling, the lines given up for the trollers were not returned. Nor was the ADEA D re-openned. I do not think that it is just coincidence that AREA D was not open as it was prior to the SoA Dept closure. It was in retaliation to our Lawsuit and of that I am convinced. It also must be that the hand trollers with two lines are more of a threat to the king resourse that the power trollers. For the power trollers have two of their lines returned even if it is restricted. Excuse me if I sound like we are being discriminated against, for everyone that is against such things know where I am coming from. More later, Jon I may get to far into this that will destroy the crediabilty of which I write.
kingquota

Post by kingquota »

Hello Jon,
I will try again, this time I will stay on the subject.
Well before the kings recovered sufficently enough to re-open, the North Pacific Salmon Treaty came into being in 1981 (?) according to the charts of the Department and the treaty quota came into being with firm numbers in 1985. The trolling lines fell through the cracks as well as the promises of the department, without saying so did Area D and all that was given up for the kings to recover has been lost ever since . Except for the recent limited two give back lines of the power trollers. The hand trollers have been cut by almost two thirds since they gave up the two lines, for most of them couldn't make a go of it with two or went to another fishery. Still the hand trollers have not gotten their lines returned as promised. The department must be either (1) trying to do away with hand trollers or (2) figure they hurt the resourse so bad (.025 %) that they don't need the two lines back. It is a long way from the hand trollers quota of 20 % of the trolling quota. The Area D has been grandfathered in from the closure when all agreed to quit fishing for kings. The rest goes along with what i said in the last post. This is how I remembered it and as ,I think it was Salty, said theat memory has a way of changinng over the years. If I am wrong in what I have said, I have no problem getting corrected. Which may bring back my memory and I will admit it if my memory failed. All the rest will stand until corrected.

As stated by sixlines, Yakutat is trying to get our area D re-openned as it was before our volunteer closure. For all species. Otherwise our village will continue with the downward spiral it is in right now. there is no way to know when it will stop without our Area D being openned again.