Clear Scans

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clear Scans

Post by Salty »

Fellow trollers,
For some of you who know my family you know we have been touched by tragedy. Some of you on this site have commented on how much you enjoyed my mother's book and the ensuing story of our family in the SE Troll fishery. As those of you know who have read my mother's book, my father, Skip Jordan, died of Leukemia in 1965. Some of you may also know that my mother Marilyn is a cancer survivor of Lymphoma and Breast cancer for the last 15 years. My sister Lynda, who survived falling overboard when she was an infant, succumbed to breast cancer two years ago this month.
I was diagnosed with stage 4 tongue cancer two and a half years ago and went through radiation, chemo, and a clinical trial of a new drug. The good news is that I just completed a series of exams and scans which came out all clear. The news for all of you is that if you have any suspicious symptoms go get checked out. In my case I did not have any pain, bleeding, etc. Just a lump under my chin which turned out to be a lymph gland full of cancer from the tumor on the base of my tongue. The good news is that modern treatment is both extending lives and treating cancers with an ever increasing success rate. In our fishing industry we are constantly exposed to a variety of carcinogenic compounds, think bottom painting, and should both be especially cautious, and diligent about regular check-ups or any suspicious symptoms.
While I am pretty ecstatic about my present prognosis compared to 2 and a half years ago, what would also really make me feel wonderful is if this post somehow helped someone reading this go get checked out and become another survivor. I just missed a week of fishing here in Sitka, but let me tell you, no king trip, however wonderful, has ever felt as good as the doctor telling me yesterday that all my exams and tests showed no signs of cancer.

The bad news is you might have to put up with my posts and "creative interpretation" of the drag for a few more years.

Salty
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Clear Scans

Post by yak2you2 »

Excellent news! Congratulations !!
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

Good to hear Salty and sound advice as always. Going in to get checked, poked and probed is often low on our list of fun things to do, even lower than laying in festering bilge goo to repair some ailment to our vessel, at least for me. Being that my main job is in pre-hospital emergency medicine/education provides ample opportunities to see the good, the bad and ugly of what can happen to our bodies, still doesn't make me any more eager to get checked.

It's a challenge; do we go in frequently knowing that like an old diesel engine, there's bound to be something amiss that the mechanic might see but not us? Or do we keep our fuel clean, keep tabs on the equipment and run ourselves at optimal RPM? Its a gamble for we see those who get regular exams (tuneups and maintenence) that still throw a rod at a younger age and are done. Then there are those who drive and operate their body be damned of any care or concern and live to be a feisty old fossil still chasing skirts until they seize up at 100 while having a romp in the focsle.

At times though, we gotta look past ourselves to those on the perimeter of our lives. Be it a partner, kids, family, friends or simply that faithful pet that views us as a God. Most of us practice preventive maintence diligently on our vessels and gear, might help to step back and think of our aging bodies the same way. Easier said than done, but Salty you give us living proof that this works. Looking forward to more of your posts and opinions on this site and thanks for the good news.

Eric - F/V New Hope - Sitka, AK
rookie
Spammer?: No

Post by rookie »

We had a small scare a few years ago with my wife of 28 years please if anthing is not normal get it check out. craig ketchikan
Tim

Post by Tim »

And there is always a good idea to get a second opinion, or better, go to Seattle or some other major hospital and get it checked out.

My mother had a strange small "lump" on the roof of her mouth a few years back. She lives in rural Tennessee. She went to the local hospital and the doctor decided to cut it out and threw it away without a biopsy. "That should do it."

A year and a half later, my mom developed a "lump" in her throat, on the side. After a few months she noticed that it had grew a little bit. She went to the same rural hospital and they did a syringe biopsy, only extracting fluid from the "lump". They found nothing odd with the cells and deemed it benign.

A few more months go by and they lump grows a little bit more. Through the urging of my family, she decided to take the three hour drive to Nashville's Vanderbilt Hospital and get it checked out. They did a proper biopsy.

They found cancer in a lymph node that had already metastasized. They were aghast at my mom's story of the first doctor who just cut out the initial lump and did not biopsy. They speculated that it was the initial sign of cancer. She had an extremely rare nasopharyngeal cancer. Never had one cigarette in her life and was not a drinker. The cancer had already traveled to her lymph system.

One year later she has just found out that there is no cancer left and she is being called a "survivor". She received exceptional care from Vanderbilt and was strong throughout. Modern medicine is astounding. What once, not very long ago, would have been terminal was now fully treated.

"Catch it early", is what they say. Also, go to a professional. No disrespect to any smaller hospitals or doctors, as I am currently studying medicine myself, but there are care centers out there who have this stuff dialed a bit more than the small little local hospital.

And finally, as with my mother, even if the prognosis is a bit bleak, modern medicine is simply amazing. Don't be afraid to find out the bad news because it is the first step to the beginning of the good news.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

A young person, with a spouse and young children at home, OWES it to them to get life insurance. for young people it really doesn't cost all that much, and there can be no more important bill. The simple fact is, unforseen health problems arise, and accidents happen, viewing the world through rose colored glasses and thinking that they won't happen to you, is, well,,,, ridiculous.
My .02 on the medical subject.
tracyk859

Post by tracyk859 »

Thanks for the post. Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I thought I might update this post. Just completed another round of scans and exams and am still cancer free and the doctors said no more scans needed.

Talked to another fisherman a bit ago who is a couple years behind me with almost the same diagnosis and he is also doing fine.

The word is that if you get in early enough they can help you deal with these diseases. Wait too long and it is tougher for them to help you.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Glad to hear clear scans!
fvsedna

Post by fvsedna »

Thats' great news Eric......
gofish

Post by gofish »

Great news Eric. I just had my colonoscopy last week. No one likes to go to the Doctor and have these procedures, but as you mentioned. If there are problems and it is caught early, it is much easier to treat and the prognosis is much better. A couple years ago I thought I was passing a kidney stone. I went to the Doctor, I did not have any stones, but they did find a cyst on my kidney that ended up being malignant. A fairly simple procedure took care of the cyst and so far so good.

Being stubborn and not seeing the doctor when you should, can lead to an unnecessary early demise.