IFQ's or CDQ's?

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

IFQ's or CDQ's?

Post by mydona »

does anybody know what the city of Thorne Bay may have received? The mayor told me at poker last night the the city received 3 halibut permits that were for the charter boys. I thought they were CDQ's and a poundage to be leased but he insisted that charter operators were only qualified. I'm to get together with him after the weekend and look over his papers to see what's up but thought I'd just toss this out to see.... Thanks
AKWaterBum

Re: IFQ's or CDQ's?

Post by AKWaterBum »

I would like to know how the city of thorne bay even qualified for 3 permits.
I was told the permits was for the small communities that have no economic revenue coming into the community. Like whale pass, or naukati. Maybe I was told wrong. :?:
AK
actionalaska

Re: IFQ's or CDQ's?

Post by actionalaska »

IFQ and CDQ are administered through a different channel than that of the charter halibut moratorium permits. There are fundamental differences in each program even though both commercial IFQ,CDQ and the CHP's are issued from the same NOAA office in Juneau. Such as IFQ's and CDQ's equate to pounds per individual fisherman or boat, CHP's equate to uninhibited access to the fishery within set sport bag and posession limits, until the fishery is closed. There's tons of misinformation out there, and depending on who you talk to, you usually get a good portion of the circulating falsities, most of which are told by someone who truly thinks their info is accurate. (Which is completely understandable considering the complicated mess that halibut harvesting has become.) Best thing to do is call NOAA for clarification of any of your questions. In my experience when a city official is in charge of correctly conveying permits and poundage to people in the fishery, something is usually lost in translation. Good luck.