towing a boat

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

towing a boat

Post by John Murray »

I was wondering if anybody had ideas on towing a disabled vessel.I used to have pre made piece of line that was wrapped around both stern cleat's with a large overhand knot for a loop in the center.That was on my stouter wooden trollers.I don't think the cleat's on my new boat would with stand the tows I've done in the past.I was considering a tow deal that I've seen on beach loggers which ran off the bow,around both sides which somehow allowed a towing bight on the stern.
Just never know when that day will come again when your the closest boat around and you have to put something together.I'd rather have something together instead of the alternative.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: towing a boat

Post by ericv »

Hi John,

The set ups I've seen for beach logging had a stout (3/4" minimum or stouter) hawser line that was positioned about midway down the bowstem and ran down each side out aft to a bridle. The hawser line (seemed it was poly for spring, stretch and non-sinking advantages) was kept in proper place by a series of stout ganion (sp) type lines that were secured or spliced into the hawser. The splice location coincided with the respective cleats located on the bow and down both sides. The free end of the ganions were secured to these cleats. This kept the hawser tow line properly positioned and prevented it from slipping down the bowstem or sides of the vessel.

It would probably take a bit of dockside trial and error to get a pre-configured set up. Might take just a bit longer to set up and deploy at sea than the standard aft set up but I bet it would work well.

I once heard of a vessel operator with a wooden boat, not sure if he was attempting to tow a boat or pull a big log out of the brush. Anyways the guy apparently wrapped the tow line around his phone booth style wheel house. Guess rot, physics and lack of thinking all collided together. End result was a sheared off wheelhouse and a banged up, mad as hell operator sitting in a pile of former wheel house rubble on the aft deck.

It's wise that you are planning ahead on this. We just never know when our tow package may be needed to assist others or needed by someone else to get us out of a jam.

Eric - F/V New Hope - Sitka
lone eagle
Spammer?: No

Post by lone eagle »

Try this... secure a line to your cleat and then to the dock, throw into gear and hammer down. See what breaks! probably nothing will. My point being that it doesn't take much power to move a boat through water. Off the beach is different. Folks around the harbor move boats around using a small skiff. The line coming tight in a swell might be a problem.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

John,

Good idea to try it at the dock first. I know your original question concerned support for the line, but have to add that one way I have seen folks minimize or eliminate the line snap in rough weather and subsequent additional stress on the cleats was to add a weight at the center of the tow line. Heavier seas call for a heavier weight. The towed vessel was almost always under tension, even when the line was not tight. It also helped to keep the towed vessel from turning to one side or the other and further eliminated line snap and stress on the cleats.

Take care,

Lane
lone eagle
Spammer?: No

Post by lone eagle »

The hauser runs deep on a barge tug combo keeping a steady pull. I've seen fishing boats use a tire halfway down the line as a snubber. I don't think the coastguard goes to anything but a line. I also think, without knowing the boat in question, that it is built strong enough to tow another without coming apart