Internet ain't what she used to be

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Internet ain't what she used to be

Post by Once and Future »

Either I got older and incompetent - QUICKLY, or the internet ain't what she used to be. I tried to find out what federal agency decided we are no longer allowed to have vents in our 5 gallon gasoline cans. But I can't find the answer in 10 minutes or less.

Topic Change: Do any of you know why we can't have vents in the gas cans any more? Is it an environmental reg, or a safety reg? Either way, it's typical BS because I spill more now than I ever did. Oh. Wait. No. I have not spilled any. I'm just afraid I might. Definitely have not spilled even a smidgeon of fuel yet.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Internet ain't what she used to be

Post by Once and Future »

Oh My God. I just read an explanation of why epa requires 5 gallon gas cans be vented through the spout. And it is more than crazy enough to be true. And here it is: As we pour fuel out of the can, the epa wants the volume of the liquid in the can to be replaced - not by air from the atmosphere. But by fuel fumes from inside the fuel tank we are filling. That is why they require the new cans to vent through the pour spout. This way, when we go back to the gas station, where they presumably have fuel dispensing nozzles like California with the fume sucker on them, that the accumulated fumes from our remote fuel tanks get returned back into the system as we refill our 5 gallon can.

Where do these guys who make these rules come from? Did they even figure out how to feed themselves Cheerios when they were babies? Do their own families claim them?
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Post by akfisher1978 »

OaF, thats the problem with the Feds anything they touch is a disaster!
jorgea

Post by jorgea »

That is one crazy rule
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

"OaF, thats the problem with the Feds anything they touch is a disaster!"

Some days I tend to agree with this statement when I think about my experiences with the Education mandates, Forest Service and North Pacific Fisheries Management Council. And I am more than unhappy with the NSA spying on everyone.

But, other days, like today, I think of all the incredible good the United States Government does for me both practically and spiritually.

For example: The first thing I do every morning is check the NOAA weather forecast and Edgecumbe Buoy. Have any of you looked at the latest Hubble pictures? Just yesterday I walked by both the USCG vessel and through the USCG air station here. When I interviewed CG personnel over the years I came to appreciate that this country and our government is doing at least some thing right when these kind of heros end up in positions to save our sorry asses when we screw up.
I often walk through our local Totem Park, one of the smallest National Parks. The staff there is doing amazing work, and some of the part time staff are working for practically nothing.

So, anyway, I try to think of specifics when I am being critical or supportive of our federal government.
mcs

Post by mcs »

I hoard my old Jerry jugs and any spare parts i can find.
Flatfish

Post by Flatfish »

First post here from a California new guy. I just ordered some new cans for work and if you get the off road version of the cans there is no vent in the filler they are the same as the old style ill have to check where i got them from but i think there readily available.