We all miss Garrett

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We all miss Garrett

Post by Once and Future »

I am touched by how many people have mentioned on this forum that they are missing Garrett. And of course I am feeling the same way myself. And while we can't replace him in person, or on the forum, we can lessen the blow. How? By overcoming our reluctance to put up posts ourselves. We all have posts in us that we let die because of three reasons I think: 1) We're not sure if anyone wants to listen to us 2) There is that old code of silence where no one is supposed to talk because it would just run us right out of business if some other troller caught an extra fish 3) We have all been shouted down by some jackass in the past, and don't want it to happen again.

But, once and for all, Garrett has proven that the sharing attitude raises the value of all our lives collectively. Look how many people miss him! How many people will miss the "trolls" (internet variety) when they die"? Compare Garrett's attitude to that of the jerks that laughed down the young deckhand looking for work in 2012. Garrett is a higher life form, I don't care what anybody says. As a young man, he was more right about some fundamental things than some much older men with their code of silence who we have considered leaders in the past.

OUR LIVES ARE SO SHORT. I hope Garrett read my New Year's Toast last year, and I repeat it now: "A cup o' kindness to you all!"
fvsedna
Spammer?: No

Re: We all miss Garrett

Post by fvsedna »

Amen......
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Amen Brother..
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Still missing Garrett. Shared some "low liner" posts at a dinner last night. I am sure Garrett would have enjoyed.
Adrian Knopps

Post by Adrian Knopps »

Let me introduce myself. I am Adrian Knopps. I am Garrett Hagen's friend who was with him on his last adventure. I want to say that I am touched by all the kind words in behalf of Garrett but I am not surprised. He was so easy to get to know and I can say he was truly a good friend. Garrett truly loved the fishing lifestyle and he died doing something he loved. We all could have learned so much more from him and not just about fishing but about how to be a kind, generous and fair human being. He told me about this forum that is why I feel I needed to join and post my comments. If you would like to hear the rest of the story about our trip and its outcome for me I am posting a link below for a radio interview I did on the events of of September 13 through the 22nd.

http://www.wkar.org/post/hunt-gone-wron ... wilderness
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Thanks for posting that, Adrian. It helps with a little more understanding of what happened. I think you did an excellent job in the interview.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Just finished listening to that interview... I'm speechless.
All I can say is, thank you Adrian.
The rest of the forum needs to see this.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Thank you Adrian for sharing your story.
Your recap Garrett's death has motivated me to advance an idea that I've had for a few years.
I think that there are many reasons that commercial boats should be required to have a semi- permanent self rescue boarding ladder mounted on the stern.
I know that additional regulations are never popular, but without requirements I know the fleet will not adopt additional safety equipment. I think that with some help drafting a proposal to the board of fish we could craft a rule that would prevent many accidents without creating unnecessary effort or cost on the fishermen.
Does anyone have any input on such a ladder?
Karl
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

What a great interview Adrian. Your faith carried you through, and what happened to Garrett is tragic. We will all miss Garrett and all his contributions to this forum and fishing community in SE AK.
Karl is so right!! While deck handing the last 3 summers I have thought many times that a permanent ladder on each side of the Vessel as well as a knotted rope dragging at the water level, would be a lifesaver in many situations at sea.
God Bless