Why Americans are the weirdest people

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why Americans are the weirdest people

Post by Once and Future »

Ehh, you others aren't posting enough to distract me from my cabin fever. So I offer you an interesting article.

http://www.psmag.com/magazines/magazine ... U.facebook

It's a science paper that's not so hard to read, and had three or four points I liked. 1) Early on, it deals with how people from different cultures perceive fairness when dividing gifts. This is relevant to fishermen when you consider how to negotiate dividing a public resource like fish between different user groups. It also touches on the different mindset of people who would participate in something like a potlatch. (Reluctance to receive a gift because you know an obligation comes with it.)

2) It gives one explanation as to why city dwellers think an individual herring should have the same rights as a human, whereas people who live closer to nature know better. (Kids who grow up in wilderness cultures stop thinking of animals as a form of a person by the time they are 7 years old. City dwellers don't have enough contact with nature to learn the distinction.)

3) It explains how people from different cultures don't see optical illusions the same way, because their perception of the world is so different.

So if you click on the article and don't like it, don't blame me. It was just an offering to relieve your boredom.