Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

Favorite Meals and Recipes on the Troller

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.

Re: Favorite Meals and Recipes on the Troller

Postby akfish1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm

OAF..... I make French Bread (Pillsbury), biscuits, Lasagna, and lots more in mine.
akfish1

Postby Once and Future » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:48 pm

So would you say 400 degrees is not a problem for you oven? I start getting nervous over 350.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby JKD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:59 pm

My cast-iron dutch oven is my favorite galley utensil on my boat. This summer it helped me clear-out my home freezer of venison left over from last hunting season. I have a soft spot for venison ribs and sourkraut and preparing it is easy when you take the time to get it set up and into the stove for the ride into the anchorage. Like many others on this forum, I'm an opportunistic cook. Whenever I get too close to a pinnacle and collect a nice black rockfish, or if the sharks leave me a tail-less momento hanging from a Coho spoon - I fillet these fish ASAP and keep them on ice to poach later in the dutch oven in a packaged onion soup mixture with just a splash of sweet soy. Great stuff.
JKD

Postby joeman79 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:17 pm

We made several loaves of great Bread on the Sea Scape this August in the Dickinson. Used those Bread Machine mixes and if they raised properly we had so really good bread. I never did buy a dutch oven but will bring one up this summer for sure.. I bet a guy could make a great Lasagna without having to boil noodles in the dutch oven also.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby JKD » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:54 am

Joe. . .naturally there is a lot of information on the Web about dutch oven bread baking/cooking - this site has a great bread recipe http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/0 ... sty-bread/ . I had a co-worker at my last State job named Bruce Campbell who taught classes in campfire dutch oven cooking up in the Fairbanks area. He has a slew of different dishes that would work well for meals on a fishing boat.
JKD

Postby Trnaround » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:27 am

Roger on the dutch oven, we do roasts and corned beef in it. The size of roasts that fit in it (ours fits in the oven) cook in an hour or less. We overestimated the time at first and overcooked some so now we use a meat thermometer. We use the disposable aluminum baking sheets that are about an inch deep and fit almost exactly into the oven. We line the bottom with aluminum foil and do bacon and bake everything from fish to biscuits( frozen Pilsbury) in them. Easy cleanup and we don't throw them away, they last a long time with just a little easy wash and rinse. Also Roger on the fish tacos. Especially blackened rockfish (Old Bay seasoning). My secret recipe is be nice to your wife and take her fishing in waters that don't spill the food on the stove. This could also be part of the lowliner thread, you may be a lowliner if you find yourself thinking more about what's for dinner than what you are catching. ;) Thanks for the interesting subject joeman79
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby joeman79 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Kenny on the Sidney loves to take a can of cream of Chicken soup a couple boneless chicken breasts rice and some mixed veggies, salt and pepper and a couple cups of water and put it in a foil pan and seal it up tight and put it in the oven a couple hrs before we head in and its ready when we anchor. It is great on cold wet day for sure!!!
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby joeman79 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

My Daughters favorite this summer was Pan Fried Rockfish, Black Beans and Rice served with a warm Flour Tortilla and a ice cold Sam Adams Boston Lager!!! Mine was Blackened King Salmon with Pasta and Alfredo.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion