UHMW vs HDPE

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
Jamill45
Spammer?: No

UHMW vs HDPE

Post by Jamill45 »

Hello-

I am looking to replace the outside cap rails and trim on my boat. I have been looking into UHMW and HDPE but can't completely decide which direction to go. Can I get some help with the pros and cons to both? Is one easier to install than the other? Will one stand up to the elements better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

Jake
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: UHMW vs HDPE

Post by carojae »

While I have no experience with hdpe, I have used uhmw for guard rails and found it to be easy to use. I used 1 1/4" x 5.5" boards and had no trouble bending it around the sharp bends of the stern.
Jamill45

Post by Jamill45 »

When bending it was heat needed? Did you use any type of glue along with screwing down to the boat?
Housephone

Post by Housephone »

I intalled uhmw upper & lower guards 6 years ago. Very happy with them. I've bedded mine w Irish felt on my wood boat. No glue or caulk. No heat was used. You can drill, plane, router & shape just like wood. Very easy to work with. I've no experience w HDPE.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

My understanding of UHMW vs. HDPE (correct me if I'm wrong)

UHMW is more of an engineered product. A lot denser and more resistant to photo degradation. (All plastic degrades when exposed to the sun) It would definitely be a better product in a 'high wear' situation (rub rails, anchor guards, etc.)

HDPE, as far as I know, is basically melted down and shaped milk bottles (or something similar). You'll see a lot of this kind of product in the 'trex deck' systems (plastic wood decking with wood fibers and the like). It is a great, low cost, efficient use of recycled plastic, but it definitely has some impurities.

The benefit of both of these products, however, is that they do not rot! Although, be weary of bolting it bare against a wooden hull. It doesn't breath and may trap moisture in unwanted areas. ( I wonder if dolphinite would be a good bedding compound?)

In my experience/opinion, UHMW has always been the better product. A little more expensive but worth it in the long run.

I hope that helps.

Rob
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Uhmw, which is a higher density version of HDPE, will be heavier, harder, stronger, more abrasion resistant, and slicker. Neither let adhedives bond to them very well, though a breif flame treatment preceeding a good roughing up will let 5200 almost prentend like it's going to stick.
Dave Koester

Post by Dave Koester »

Good info...thx...I need to rebuild that door rail on our boat and was thinking one of these would be a good material ....the door would glide open and shut easy with no swelling etc...

Question: Where can I source this in Bellingham?

Thx!
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

Fisheries Supply might be a good start. They have a lot of a product called 'starboard'

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/resins-a ... -materials

If that's helps at all.

Rob.
Jamill45

Post by Jamill45 »

There are a number of plastics companies on the west coast that stock UHMW in different colors and makes. Calsak plastics and laird plastics are who I have been in contact with.