Transducer location on a Skookum 47'

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
nashfam
Spammer?: No

Transducer location on a Skookum 47'

Post by nashfam »

Hi everybody, I'm looking for advice on transducer installation on a Skookum 47' my wife and I just purchased. Basically I'm wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on which of the following is better: Installing a ducer with fairing block up on the side where I punch through or route it down to the bottom of the keel. I've included pictures for those of you not familiar with the hull. Basically its an extremely thick glass full keel sailboat hull. Back in the 70's and early 80's many were custom built as fishing boats for Alaska to Cali.

My Dad's owned a trolling Skookum 47' since I was 2 years old and I've spent many years of my life fishing on it. His has the ducer up on the side while the new boat has a very outdated ducer down at the bottom of the keel. Please check out the pictures and hopefully weigh in on which you think is a better option. Notice in the third picture that there previously was a transducer mounted where that middle strap is. the wire is still glassed against the hull. Where the wire begins at the top is the thru hull and where I would put the fairing block if I went that direction.

Also any strong opinions on 600w vs 1kw transducer? I've got a Furuno DFF1 that I'm hooking up to Nobeltec Catch to use for Bathy and split screen. here is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMELN5A/ref ... 409VOY988G

Thanks for any advice
Attachments
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_7098.JPG
IMG_7098.JPG (59.73 KiB) Viewed 18888 times
IMG_6653.JPG
IMG_0022.jpg
Chris+Iris Nash, F/V Orion
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Transducer location on a Skookum 47'

Post by Salty »

If you look down the page on the link you posted you will see a 12 degree internal tilt 1000 watt Raymarine transducer. I have two of the internal tilt. Be sure to get one compatible with Catch.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Depends on what sounder you're planning to use to send depth info to Catch. The newer Furuno DFF1-UHD "black box" network sounder uses a CHIRP sweep frequency that needs a special transducer that can handle the varying frequency pulse. Unless they've changed in the last year, the only transducer that Furuno lists to pair with the DFF1-UHD is the Airmar B265LH which looks similar to the Amazon-listed unit you posted.
From experience using the CHIRP technology last season, it is like turning on the lights in a dark room. The discrimination of fish size is good enough that you can tell the predator fish (kings) from the bait balls while fishing or cruising around prospecting, and it will tell you whether the bottom type is mud or sand etc. It also shows a clear bottom trace down to nearly 400-fms, which is fantastic for a 1000 watt unit.
nashfam

Post by nashfam »

Thanks guys for the reply.

Curmudgeon, It was your post last year about Chirp that got me pining after it and researching about it but I just couldn't justify the expense at this time with buying a boat, radar, Nobeltec Catch, gear, etc etc. I am hoping to upgrade in the not so distant future as I recognize how amazing that clarity must be but for now I bought a Dff1 ethernet sounder.

This model is directly compatible with Catch as a split screen sounder. The transducer was found on the Furuno website under product accessories and supported transducers

http://furunousa.com/products/productde ... sh+Finders

I think I'm on the right track but I have a hard time committing large chunks of time and money to something without getting outside verification from others who have much more experience than myself
Chris+Iris Nash, F/V Orion