Bottom paint issues

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Bottom paint issues

Post by mattakfish »

-Anyone have experience switching from Ameron 214 to Ameron ABC 3....any noticeable difference in application or performance? I'm told they are compatable...so I can paint abc over the 214.

-I have a lot of small spots on my glass hull, especially near waterline, where bottom paint will not stick after first trip. Just flakes off to bare gelcoat. I am considering sanding the entire hull (40 foot) down to gelcoat and starting from scratch with two coats of an epoxy primer (amercoat 235 one option) followed by the new bottom paint. Of course sanding off decades of bottom paint will be a big job and I'm not quite sure I want to go that far this year...... So, for now, I'm thinking an easier route might be just to spot sand and prime all the problem areas and then do my bottom paint.

-Any ideas or suggestions for technique, other painting products before I decide how to tackle this?
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Sandlance
Spammer?: No

Re: Bottom paint issues

Post by Sandlance »

My boat has the same build up of paint issue. I just sanded off the worst of it and painted with Pettit Seamate. So far I really like the Pettit product.