Plug hook sizing?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Flyer
Spammer?: No

Plug hook sizing?

Post by Flyer »

Plugs.jpg
I have a bunch of plugs I'm replacing the hooks on, and I'd like some advice/opinions... Are the hooks on these plugs too big or just right? I like to fish the largest hook I can get away with and still get bit.

Thanks!
Brother Dave

Re: Plug hook sizing?

Post by Brother Dave »

The plug on the right looks smaller than the one on the left, but the hook looks bigger. Interesting hook design also.

For what it's worth, Tomic uses 4/0 hooks for 4" plugs, 5/0 for 5", etc. Since there is some variation in hook sizes among manufacturers I don't think you need to be exact. Like you, I like larger hooks in general and often go up a size - 7/0 hooks for 6" plugs.
Mat

Post by Mat »

You might consider hook weight in addition to size if you're thinking about effect on plug action. For example, 4/0 170 Mustad is almost the same weight as 5/0 195.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Every plug and hook is unique from size to shape to weight. Then there is the speed you plan to fish them, the weight leader you plan to use, and the length of the leader. I have caught thousands of kings on plugs. I have hundreds, many never used. I us d to run two plugs a line fishing kings. I carefully marked each time one caught a fish and over time had 8 hot plugs out. But, we don’t get time to scratch away, there aren’t many big slugs, which like plugs around,
It takes time to work one with a fish on to the boat so I seldom fish plugs anymore. I miss the art of it.
Good luck.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

I would love to learn how to fish plugs.

I have tried many times with lots of colors only to be disappointed . That being said it seemed in my limited experience fishing plugs the standard J hooks wear on the tail area.

Some of the older plugs I have are rigged with a Dura Nickel style curve point and do not exhibit the same wear as the J hooks.

Fascinated by plugs for sure!