Opinions On SAW Trolling Wire

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Brother Dave
Spammer?: No

Re: Opinions On SAW Trolling Wire

Post by Brother Dave »

Thanks for commenting JKD.
Jamill45

Post by Jamill45 »

What are folks thoughts on the 5/64" diameter wire from Saw?
JKD

Post by JKD »

Jamill45 - Once I finish the winter King fishery in April, I'll be ordering enough 5/64" 1X19 wire from Stan for all 6 spools on my Easthopes. I'm still impressed with the quality of the SAW 1/16" 1X19 wire I've been using on my float bags. In the 2+ seasons I've been using my SAW Wire, I've collected a few partially-submerged logs and a really nasty Hemlock stump on my floats in the last four months, and there was no visible damage to the wire with all of the strain necessary to get the lines up to the boat and clear of the wood. As I said in my 8.30.2016 post above - my 1.5-fathom marked wire has the hand-crimped brass beads. I have had to re-crimp a few of these brass beads that started to slip out of position, but I've had to do the same thing with other brands so I wasn't surprised or annoyed when it happened.
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

You're going to run 5/64 on all spools? No more 1/16 on your floats?
JKD

Post by JKD »

Brother Dave - No, I'm going to try the 1X19 in 5/64" diameter all the way around. I have a preference for 5/64" wire - I have used it for years. When I ordered my current float-bag wire from Stan, all that was available in the 1X19 was 1/16". When I noticed that he is now offering 1X19 in the larger diameter I decided to give it a try.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Another SAW wire update: I am still using the 1X19 strand 5/64" wire I purchased in April of 2017. I put the same diameter wire on all 4 spools and got 2 seasons out of it with only one kink (that I didn't have to cut-out or repair because none of the strands in the kink ever broke). Near the end of this summer season I noticed some strands breaking between marks, but I discovered that the troll block right above the gurdy itself was not turning properly, and the wire was dragging over the plastic spool instead of riding on it was the spool turned. This situation can can kill your wire (whether it is 7-strand or 19-strand). I replaced that block immediately and kept an eye on those spots and finished the season without any splicing. I figured one or two strands out of 19 in a section didn't cause much of a reduction in strength.

I began to see some of the brass marks slipping near the end of the first season, but I could always move those marks back close to their original position and I would lock them into place with a slotted 1/16" brass repair sleeve butted-up to the "slider" just below it on the wire. For good measure I would also crimp the "slider", too.

I am favorably impressed with the SAW wire. I believe that if you have good quality trolling wire blocks, and they are centered properly so that the wire feeds back and forth on the spool when you are retrieving it, you will also be impressed with the durability of Stan's product. I'm buying more of Stan's product before this coming summer season.
restless

Post by restless »

I like to use 6 in pullies on my heavies they are kinder on the wire over all. I've gotten 4 years out of my saw wire, we have a lot of crab pots down hear off the Columbia and have only one splice in 4 years .