All riiiiight! Or: We bought us a boat, now what?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Jon
Spammer?: No

All riiiiight! Or: We bought us a boat, now what?

Post by Jon »

You eyeball the boats.
You dream of the ocean and all the fish you'll be catching.
You crunch the numbers to find out how much money you'll make.
You spend half your life talking about it with other fisherman.

In the end, you take the plunge and end up with what... exactly? A soaking bunch of wooden planks bound together around a huge hunk of iron so rusty you can't tell the blower from the exhaust manifold.

That's the point though. The rewards are in the work you do, the progress you make, and the lifestyle you choose.

I hope this message board will become a source of information, laughter, insight, help, support, and inspiration for anyone interested in trolling.

-Jon

vex520ak

Post by vex520ak »

Right on.
This forum is a good thing. My wife and I esp. like the pics of the "Gold Dust". The before and after shots in the yard are great. She looks proud again.
My wife and I are taking the plunge and we'll be starting out jigging cod in the GOA. We're looking at options for salmon and hand trolling is at the fore. We'll have a lot of capital tied up with expenses for the first couple of years so a lower start-up cost is a good thing. Higher gross profit isn't as appealing as the potential for a lower start up and better net margin at this point. Anyway, we're happy to have found this forum. It's helped to bring some perspective aside from just raw numbers. Thanks.

Brian and Kathleen