A season complete and in the books

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
The Soph

A season complete and in the books

Post by The Soph »

Chomping at the bit for spring to arrive and get back on the ocean. Of course for me that entails first a two week run from seattle to sitka of which I am not looking forward to.

Here are more recent photos of The Sophia. Actually, they were taken the evening of July 1, 2007 (opening day of the first king opener). Every time I see these pictures I cringe lamenting my naivety. I had the best day of the entire 3 month season that day with 61 kings. And I quit to barbeque (celebrate) before they even stopped biting. It wasn't even dark yet.
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Thanks for posting the pictures, I'm jealous of your awesome boat :)
It wasn't even dark yet.
At least you were able to stop and enjoy the moment. We did the same thing last year when we had 300 ho's on our first day ever of coho fishing and were the first and only boat in the anchorage for a long time.

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't owe money left and right and could fish leisurely?
The Soph

Post by The Soph »

apex wrote: Wouldn't it be great if we didn't owe money left and right and could fish leisurely?
Yeah. I'm gonna have hell to pay, literally, next year with my loan payment. But, for me, I think half of the excitement and exhilleration from commercial fishing comes from that drive to succeed financially against all of the inherent obstacles we face. Ie. making a big day bigger or a big trip bigger. Mustering up the willpower is a challenge. It's amazing how knowing if you dont stay out that you'll get beat by you peers, drives you. Or if you dont hit it early enough in the morning it could cost you hundreds or thousands of $$$.

:)