Trolling (Hook and Line) Mascot

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
afteryou
Spammer?: No

Re: Trolling (Hook and Line) Mascot

Post by afteryou »

Latitudes, You bring up a good point with the Pink and Chum. As someone who enjoys Humpy and Chum fishing I have been worried about them getting lost in all of this. I truly think that the those two are a big part of our future. LONG LIVE THE HUMPY ! :roll:
thebowlerfamily
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by thebowlerfamily »

What about a line drawing of a troller fishing, perhaps coupled with a smiling animated salmon in the foreground with a fin towards it?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Tammy Lynn, pencil sketch.jpg
Tammy Lynn, pencil sketch.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 21688 times
Here is your line drawing.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

I finally watched the show that started this tread, on Create TV on America's Test Kitchen basically planting the seed that folks don't know where wild salmon has been and that it carries higher levels of pcb, and has less fat than Scottish farm raised salmon. No studies were referenced just some eastcoast fish mongers damming word pimping farm fish. Seems like we need a big push back and call folks out on this even legally. As for branding or a mascot, my thoughts are kind of like Charlie Tuna, but a King Salmon "King David" with a crown, gloves on, big W belt and boxer shorts a commercial showing him knock out a weakling farm fish salmon, say something like "only buy wild north pacific hook and line carefully caught in pristine waters, rich and healty in omega 3, unlike farmed fish". Be smart and strong, eat wild salmon......
thebowlerfamily
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by thebowlerfamily »

salty.png
It's real rough I know.......thoughts?
(14.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
salty.png
(14.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Cute,
I am thinking the name on the cap might be "Chinookie". "Tasty as a cookie, healthy as a .........?"

Fill in the blank.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I actually like Andrews rough idea and I hope you guys are having fun be marketers for a day. That said, we should fund a campaign and pay experts to do this stuff.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Joe,
Yes, of course, we are having fun. And, the thing I learned from all that fishermen in the stores training, marketing fish, training on raising money, etc. is that there are people who are really really good at this stuff out there. I just talked to one of them the other day.
What we have, sorry west coast and Canadian readers, is an amazing brand recognition and consumer positive feeling with "Alaska wild salmon". Recent practices by Alaska's politicians are hurting it, but it is still strong.

Won't be here much this week. Will be at the NSRAA Board meeting working to improve troller's share of NSRAA harvest values. Millions of dollars on the table.

Eric
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I wouldn't mind putting some of my money into a professional marketing campaign. I really don't know what an individual can accomplish, but it is good to see trollers thinking on the subject. It is true that Alaska sells, and people will be more likely to purchase something that they have heard good things about and can identify. It would be nice if any benefits that we ever come up with could be applied to Canadian and West coast fish though. They really are the same fish, often from the same rivers. I know that Canadian and Alaskan shrimp are sold together without a hitch.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Thanks for the efforts on the logo - it's looking good & thanks Abundance & JYPDX for your thoughts. Good points. Salty, thanks for all the time you dedicate working to put real, available dollars in troller's pockets. There's probably not much better use of time & effort for the benefit of trollers. Amazing brand recognition does exist for Alaskan fish and Alaskan fishermen & processors benefit from it. Generally, they benefit evenly from it regardless of how they harvest. It's good to see effort toward branding the harvest method. Thanks again bowlerfamily.

Lane
Klaneinak

F/V Helen T - what's her status?

Post by Klaneinak »

hello all,
I am looking for the status of the F/V Helen T. Is she still for sale? Pulled from the market? I used to deckhand on this boat for my uncle and curious to know her status.

Could you please help.
Klaneinak

F/V Helen T - what's her status?

Post by Klaneinak »

hello all,
I am looking for the status of the F/V Helen T. Is she still for sale? Pulled from the market? I used to deckhand on this boat for my uncle and curious to know her status.

Could you please help.