Hey scallywags!

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Angie

Hey scallywags!

Post by Angie »

Jon and I haven't been fishing since September, and although I was happy the season was over, I am getting that itch once again!!! And as everyone knows, the closest thing to actual fishing is blabbering on about fishing and fishing boats.
So, we just put the Goldy up for sale, and you know, even though the Gold Dust is small for our family (we are usually in AK for 6 months a year and it has the living space of a modest bathroom) I am feeling a tad uneasy about it. I guess I have just grown attached to the ol' boat!! Although living/working in the shipyard for two weeks was one of the hardest things I have done--the shipyard is a nasty, caustic, dirty place to call home. I love the painting---it's the damn prep work that totally bites. You know what they so though, 80% prep--I wish they didn't say that! A glass boat would be nice and spacious, but I feel like I wouldn't be as attached to it as our wooden boat. Then again--it would be nice to have a flush toilet (no more bucket,) ooh and a shower, a fridge, and freezer........ Would we get too spoiled though? I think I would miss that feeling of coming into port, taking a shower and feeling so good about it you tell your friends, "Oh my god, I just took a shower, and it was incredible." And they are like, "I know whatcha mean." And then you crack open a celebratory can of beer from the fish hold---it smells a bit like fish, but it's ice cold.
Carol W

Re: Hey scallywags!

Post by Carol W »

Looks to me that the Goldy is very fishy and sometimes it is better to stay with a fishy boat that is also a good sea boat. I had another boat about 9 years ago that caught coho like crazy but was small and hard to get comfortable, my current boat catches Kings pretty well but I have never racked up the coho scores I have had on the other boat. And from looking at your gross income numbers I would say you aren't going to increase those numbers just getting a bigger boat, maybe even lower them.
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Yea, you have a good point.
Angie

Post by Angie »

I have been worried about that as well as I have heard stuff like that from other long time fisherman.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

It is definately the time of year that the bug to get started for the upcoming season begins to surface. I am going back to Alaska to work on the boat after valentines day, beginning to think of a winter king trip. Nice time to fish, not very many boats and not a lot of fish to overwork a guy, but the weather still looks crappy so first few trips will be inside, but hope to be at Noyes Is in late March. The bug is definately getting stronger with each day.

I was wondering if Jon could give me the name and phone number of the guy who did your caulking.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Dean Jackson. I believe he charged $20 or $25/hour and he did a good job.

Eric Hanson was the shipwright we used, and he was absolutely fantastic and very reasonably priced.

Unfortunately I don't have either of their numbers. Dean had posters up at Murray's and around town.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep, we've got the fever. I woke up this morning dreaming of fishing. I've been looking through the ADF&G data and early April looks like a great time to be winter king fishing as far as catch rates go. Good luck and good fishing :D
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Early April is the best but the Carol W is tide and tarped over in Ketchikan so it will take a bit of time to get her into fishing shape. I sit on the Coop board of directors and have to be in Bellingham in mid march, so hoping to squeeze a couple trips in before.
Hey i thought I would tell you that the Goldy is going to be next boat I sketch.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Cool! Where can I see some of your other sketches?

I joined the coop late last year (we put it off until our last trip - doh!). I'm very happy to be a member and am looking forward to selling some nice fish to the deer harbor :D
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

You will be very satisfied over the long haul, I joined about 7 years ago and have watched my gross income climb. We need young people like the 2 of you in the Coop and remember during the season when you see the high dock prices being offered by other buyers, they are now your competition. As a member of the Coop you are now an owner in the company and during the season when you are selling to the coop you are working for your Jan check...I definately liked mine this year. I guess I would say the more pounds you put into the coop the better off you are, I personally sell over 98% of my production and would strongly urge you to the same.
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Just found this the other day chasing info on your boat ,very cool,about time for something like this
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

i agree gumpucky hey take a cruise throught craigs list a couple nice boats there,,pacific marine brokers a good sight too
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

roger that.been watching CL for the last couple years as part of my new boat search.Lots of local boats ,found my new boat in Newport just cruising around the back roads.Stripped but all the impotant stuff upgraded and been fun putting all the piecs back together again.
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Probably shoulda previewed for spelling..........
Jon

Post by Jon »

Gumpucky got a new boat?!?! I want pics :D
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

seem to be having hard time getting pics on here.any recommendations?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I think they have to be less than 512KB's each. Maybe yours are larger... I'll increase the size limit... one sec.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

I would also be interested i need to get pics off other puter and once I know how to upload i will
Jon

Post by Jon »

You can post images up to 2MB's in size now. When you are making a reply there's an 'Upload attachment' tab below the text input box.

In the Upload attachment tab:
Click 'Choose file' and select the file you want to attach. Then press "Add the file".

Or you can upload the image anywhere on the web and link it into a post using the

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
tag.