Fairing Block Construction

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
RoverCranker
Spammer?: No

Fairing Block Construction

Post by RoverCranker »

I should have asked these questions before I went and did it but what are people's thoughts on plastic vs wood fairing blocks? I just installed a block made of composite decking on my fiberglass boat. It took a few cuts to get a piece without a bubble in the center. Then I had to obviously grind off quite a bit to make it flush. I've encased it in 5200. I'm a little concerned how it will seal or if it will only take hitting a stick to knock it off kilter and make it leak.The block I took off of the same spot was wood with a much smaller diameter hole. Both the old and the new transducers are bronze. Just curious what other opinions are out there?
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: Fairing Block Construction

Post by Crawfish »

We used a UHMW style plastic for guards of the keel cooler. The 5200 seamed to seal OK but they had stainless screws going through them. I think the Trex style decking would be more porous and offer a better bite or a better tooth for the 5200 to grab ahold of. My concern would be many composite decking material's are a combination of recycled plastic and sawdust . Would this delaminate over time being below the water line? I am not sure. Under normal conditions you are using it in a compression application with very little shear. Could a log be a problem? I don't know? I have used it for guard rails and it has worked well since 2004-2005. Let us know in a year or two when you haul out on how it performs. On a side note I jarred a transducer this last year and it started leaking. I thought no big deal I will remove it and replace it. I was in for a treat with that one. I had to use a 3' pipe wrench with a cheater to get the wood fairing block to twist free of the glass hull. 5200 is some amazing stuff.