Hydraulic steering line advice

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Hydraulic steering line advice

Post by mattakfish »

Been going through and replacing some beat-up hydraulic hose for gurdy/anchor and steering systems.
Most of my steering is copper tubing.....some of which has quite a patina and some pitting but it seems pretty solid with no obvious leaks. Still, I thought I should put together an emergency repair kit for copper, just in case. Thought I'd query you more experienced folks about making fast/temporary repairs to copper steering lines. Any recommendations on tape or putty that will stick to copper, even if its wet with hydraulic steering fluid....something to use that will keep enough pressure in the line in a pinch? I have splash zone. Also considered JB weld for wet/moist repairs.....or maybe emergency tape/silicone tape would be the quickest but would it hold?

I would also carry some spare tubing, ends, couplings, tools etc.

I plan to eventually replace with new copper or switch to all hose. Any preferences on either?
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Hydraulic steering line advice

Post by Salty »

I switched to hose years ago and have rescue tape and another product for emergency repairs.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

On a side note anybody have any good tips for bleeding your steering system? I have a duel station. Teleflex helm, wagner rear helm, and Teleflex cylinder. Lots of air still in the system. (just put the helm pump and cylinder in)
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I replaced my ram ...which had significant electrolosis corrosion...and my hydraulics man told me to just work it until the air worked its way out. and that worked for me though I was a bit sceptable.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Heres the way to bleed steering. System must have a bypass valve near the ram. Open the valve, turn auto pilot onto tiller, swing remote tiller to hard over, drink a coffee, ten minutes later it is bled. Close bypass valve. Done.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

What kind of coffee?
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

kjwelder wrote:Heres the way to bleed steering. System must have a bypass valve near the ram. Open the valve, turn auto pilot onto tiller, swing remote tiller to hard over, drink a coffee, ten minutes later it is bled. Close bypass valve. Done.
what's a bypass valve look like? I think I had one of those. Went to turn it, and the handle broke off. Dangit.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Yep, I looked it up and that's what I broke. Dangit. Could I get the same effect by taking the lines off the ram and hooking them together? (read to do that on the 'net somewhere)
Sharlene C

Post by Sharlene C »

In a pinch, you can wrap leather around the the break and put a hose clamp over that and tighten the clamp, this will work with with high pressure lines like on gurdies too but it may drip a bit, you can usually keep fishing until your trips up.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

@Kelper... Too bad the handle broke. can u turn the valve stem without the handle by using a wrench or a different handle?
Taking the lines off the ram would result in air being introduced when the lines are disassembled to hook back up.
Try to use the bypass. Besides playing a mean prank, it is there to help bleed the system.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks for the replies. I'll put rescue tape and maybe some leather on my shopping list.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

kjwelder wrote:@Kelper... Too bad the handle broke. can u turn the valve stem without the handle by using a wrench or a different handle?
Taking the lines off the ram would result in air being introduced when the lines are disassembled to hook back up.
Try to use the bypass. Besides playing a mean prank, it is there to help bleed the system.
Thanks man. I put in a new bypass. Then, fought with it for a few days trying to figure out why the hell I couldn't get the air out of the system. Then, last night I remembered seeing a T under the dash with some lines running to the flybridge. Lightbulb went on. This morning I checked it out and sure enough, copper pipes running to the flybridge, still plumbed in, and capped off at the top. Disconnected at the T, capped it, drained (pipes were full of air and some fluid) and had the whole system bled in 30 minutes. Lesson learned.