Saving Old Nobletech

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Sharlene C
Spammer?: No

Saving Old Nobletech

Post by Sharlene C »

My 12 year old laptop that has Nobletech 5 on it (my favorite navigation system) gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. I went on ebay and found the exact model second hand for $50. I took the hard drive out of my old laptop and put it in the one I got off ebay. I now have Nobletech 5 back and running so I'm a happy camper! The hard drive comes out in about 10 seconds and its like putting in a new cassette, very easy to do. Incidentally, I have Nobletech 11 and I hate it. I hope this helps someone that still likes the old Nobletech which you can't get anymore that I know of.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Saving Old Nobletech

Post by Salty »

Wow, I remember Nobeltec 5. Started with Navtrek about 20 years ago. We used 9.5 for years and it was better than 10 or 11. Catch is a good way to go when it comes time to step up. Another learning curve.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Nice save!
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

In anticipation of a full computer crash, Here is a technical question....I am not sure where Nobletect 10 program disc went, but I have a small custom tower that has USB ports and windows 2010, has anyone down load their Nobletech to a jump drive or data stick for safe keeping just in case your hard drive dies?
Sharlene C

Post by Sharlene C »

Eureka,
You can save your noble tech data to a jump drive, but you can't save the nobletech program to a data stick that I'm aware of. If you find a way to save the program, please let me know, thanks
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I think you have it Eureka.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Thanks Salty, my son will copy to a jump drive and load it to a laptop or my desktop at home. I will let you know how it works, your correct the jump drive is like having an external hard drive.

What a learning curve it has been. Just learned that my system needs 400 watts constant, but had it plugged into my 300 watt inverter. The surging burned out the power supply again so now it is fixed and hooked up to the big inverter with a constant volt with a battery back up regulated to 450 watts. It is true, Bring out another thousand.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

By system do you mean laptop? Not to contradict what you are saying but 400 watts is a lot of power for that. I'm just wondering if you have another issue going on.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Hi Jim, my nav system runs off a custom tower 3amp draw with 2 large monitors, gps/auto pilot router...probably going to switch to a laptop after this season. The hart pure sine large inverter seems to be working
Furuno

Post by Furuno »

Thanks for the idea Sharlene C. When my old lap top finally gives up I'll try this solution. I bought Catch but I'm not getting rid of my Nobel 6.1 anytime soon! Furuno