Gumpucky Question

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Fishnmike
Spammer?: No

Gumpucky Question

Post by Fishnmike »

I don't often post here as I am a sports fishing guy and don't want to clutter up your professional boards. But here is a question for you guys. I know the commerical guys are religeous about using a gumpucky in a hoochie but very few sports guys do. What purpose does a gumpucky serve? Does it make a hoochie fish differently?

Thanks,

Mike
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Gumpucky Question

Post by Crawfish »

1: Keeps the nose from deforming.
2:Allows a positive hook setback by certain bead size.
3: Help the hootchies track straight behind a flasher.
JKD

Post by JKD »

In my experience, gumpuckies also keep hoochies from getting torn-up quickly by salmon teeth - especially the brands that are forming their products out of a thinner variety of plastic.
Fishnmike

Post by Fishnmike »

Thanks guys. I use them or a large glow bead in the head of my hoochies and was wondering why we use them and why most sport guys don't.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great question, thanks.

In my limited experience the above responses are good ones and here are a couple of other ones. Certain hootchies fish better with certain gum puckies, beads, golf tee's, or flash or glow inserts.

Finally, sport fishermen, even the most dedicated charter guides or individuals, do not put in enough lure time comparatively to a commercial troller fishing kings to learn much. For example, I spend nearly 200 days a year trolling and have been doing that for most of 60 some years. Most of the other days I am communicating with other trollers about gear and techniques, and I still know very little about catching king salmon with hootchies. I used hootchies and spoons almost exclusively for 20 years. For most of the day on those 200 days a year I am running 20 or more lures at a time. Most days I fish about 12 hours. So, 200 x 12 x 20 x 60 = almost 3 million hours of lure time. If you are a totally dedicated sport fisherman fishing hootchies in salt water for salmon and go 50 days a year for 6 hours a day for 20 years you have 50 x 6 x 20 =6000 hours of lure time. We are talking totally different levels of observation and experience here. To say nothing of the fact that sport fishermen, charter and individual, usually quit when they "limit out" where top trollers will harvest hundreds of salmon (2000 pinks and 1000 chums, 200 kings, 500 coho) a day in a good bite.
Even though some sport fishermen can be very good at catching a few salmon in a few spots on particular gear the breadth of their experience is miniscule compared to an experienced troller. In my area we have a saying that goes like this: "If you love salmon trolling and you can catch you buy a permit and go commercial trolling, if you can't catch you buy into a charter operation." Then you make a lot of money chartering, retire, and go trolling for "fun".
Then there is my case when in spite of all this experience, observation, nearly limitless supply of hootchies, and wisdom, I still get "highlined" by my handtroll friend my kid's age who just bought a permit.

Eric Jordan, founder, "Lowliners Anonymous".
Fishnmike

Post by Fishnmike »

Yeah that difference in the amount of time on the water that you professionals get vs. us sport guys is exactly why I posted the question here. There are reasons you guys always use a gumpucky and I was trying to tap into that knowledge. Thanks again.