Better deckhose

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: Better deckhose

Post by joeman79 »

Have any of you guys ever tried the Johnson washdown pump? I am having one installed in my boat this week on the recommendation of Brad the guy that ran the boat last year.
JKD

Post by JKD »

joeman79 - Exactly which Johnson pump are you referring to? Johnson manufactures a variety of pump models. The 1.5" engine-driven flexible impeller pump I removed from my washdown system was a Johnson [very similar to a Jabsco], but they make "washdown" and "live-tank" models also: http://www.spx.com/en/johnson-pump-mari ... -services/ . In the past whenever I picked a washdown pump for handling dressed fish on trollers I have operated, I always tended to go for a lot of water volume and low pressure. As far as brands go, I would say that Johnson is a reputable manufacturer.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

it is not belt driven I see that they make one. it is electric 5.2 gm.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

JYDPDX, curious, what did you find regarding your pump pressure, any blockage?
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

Here's what I found. I replaced the belt and fixed the coolant leak above it. Checked the flow of water from the thru hull at various points and found ample flow, no blockage to the pump. Finally I did what I should have done first and checked the impeller (one month old) and it was toast. There were pieces of it blocking flow out of the pump. Replaced it and I believe I have optimal flow which is still insufficient at idle.

It's a 1 1/4" pump. I think I am going back to the rule pump and will have this as a backup. Don't like the idea of burning out the impeller just by using it while charging. We are always using the washdown while running in and out.

There was a conspicuously sharp edge in the inside of the impeller housing I noticed when I was installing it. May be why it's eating them.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

JYDPDX, You could still have pieces downstream from the pump, you won't know for sure until you do the test hose or take all of your hoses apart downstream and see if it makes a difference. Those pumps won't take running at high rpm that's why they developed the electric clutch. If you neck down to 3/4 you are increasing the pressure, which is good to a point but if you charge without allowing somewhere for the water to go (like a y) to increase the diameter to 1 1/4 you will stress the pump. That sharp thing could be the cam that has two little fingers on it, make sure the screw that holds the cam in isn't loose. Oh ya lubricate(grease or vasaline) the housing before you put in the new impeller.Good luck man.