Better deckhose

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Drew
Spammer?: No

Better deckhose

Post by Drew »

Does anyone have a deckhose that lasts longer than a season or two? I have those electric ones and they don't seem to last too long before burning out. I had been thinking that a belt driven pump might work better but somebody told me that those don't last that long either. What's the best deckhose solution?
paul
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Better deckhose

Post by paul »

I've had good luck with my Jabsco electric clutch pump. I think it's as old as the boat 1983. Iwaki pumps last a long time but they are 110 volt.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I have a Jabsco belt driven pump and am hating, absolutely hating the pathetic water pressure. It's almost serviceable at charging rpm but really weak pressure while trolling. It's the 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. Have others had good luck with these? Maybe I have a blockage restricting the flow. I've heard the impellers fail once a year so I just carry a spare and it was not hard at all to change out.

I went through what seemed like every electric pump on my last boat until I settled on the rule general purpose pump which produced awesome pressure. They only last a couple years but I figured that was good compared to the many others before that produce a small fraction of the pressure and only last a couple months.

If I can't find some kind of blockage in my thru hull or piping, I will be changing back over to the rule pump. But I will still carry a spare on board!

By the way drew. Nice driving of your boat at edgecumbe. You're in good company on my list.
Drew

Post by Drew »

JYDPDX wrote: By the way drew. Nice driving of your boat at edgecumbe. You're in good company on my list.
I'm guessing that's sarcasm. I don't remember turning in front of you bad any times, but over a month at the cape seems like enough time for everyone to piss off everyone else.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree with JYDPDX. I use the rule, mount it below the water line and clean the intake and hose couplings of marine growth every season. I keep two spares on board. The best washdown pump for me is a pacer hydraulic 2" which I use to wash down and pump my slush tanks. I have it set up to swap out in less than an hour. But, it has been years since I have had to replace one. I also have an engine mounted pump which I use when two or more of us are cleaning fish. But, it provides too much pressure at running speed and for one hose at 2.5 knots. So, I have y ed it off to two hoses on deck and adjust the pressure as needed.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'll give the rule a try. It seems like there should be some kind of bomb proof belt driven option, but I've heard nothing but complaints from that route.
Fishnpohl

Post by Fishnpohl »

Jabsco have a cam plate in the top of the housing they never get changed and need to! With that replaced, new impler and new cover or just flip it around you should have no problem lots of GPH and plenty of psi. I have a 1 1/2 on a electric clutch and I have more water then I know what to do with.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

The trick with the rule general purpose pumps, to get ample pressure, from what I was told and what worked for me, is to run inch and a half hose from the thru-hull to the pump and also from the pump up to the deck BEFORE you reduce it down to a garden hose or whatever your working deck hose is. I did this and had enough pressure to run two cleaning hoses and a hose to circulate water in the rinse tub simultaneously. Switch the other valves off to run it through just one garden hose and I could spray the back of the house from the pit. I also plumbed in an inch and a half deckhose with a spray adapter and it produced excellent volume and pressure for scrubbing down or shooting out the deck. PVC piping with the cement glue worked really good for pluming valves and reducing down to garden hose. Cheap, strong, fast and drip free.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree with Jydpdx. I have a similar rule set up.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Based on the good reviews I just ordered the Rule 3800 General Washdown. My understanding is 1.5" suction to pump 1.5" discharge to deck level to ? What size hose are you guy's using above deck? Any other caveats I should watch out for?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I am using 3/4 inch garden hose fittings on deck. The reducing down is dicey as it really reduces your pressure. I go from 1.5 inches into a y on one side and through a large reducer to one hose on the other. I also clean out all the mussels and barnacles every year at the junctions.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Yesterday I installed a Rule General-Purpose pump on my troller for deck washdown at the dressing station(s) at either side of the troll cockpit. I replaced a Jabsco-style pump that ran off the auxiliary drive on the front of my John Deere. Unfortunately the previous set-up meant that the direct-drive washdown pump was always running - at ALL rpms (whether fishing or traveling). I considered installing a Pitts electric clutch on the aux drive so I could shut that pump off when it was not needed, but I decided to go with the Rule pump and use the aux drive for a different application.

The previous owner had installed a PVC Tee where the water supply came out at the back of the cabin. He had connected a 3/4" garden-hose Y-valve on the middle port of the Tee which gave him the option of putting all of his water either to the cockpit area for washing and bleeding fish, or diverting the flow to a 10-foot piece of garden hose to hose off the deck. If he didn't need any water on deck he had a by-pass plumbed-in that allowed him to run all of the water directly over the side. I have made a few changes, but basically I am replicating his original distribution system.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Great thread guys. I just pulled my jabsco engine driven pump off that boat. The seacock was under the engine, and stuck in the open position. Just couldn't feel good about it. I got rid of that, and had the hole glassed over. I'll have to give the Rule pump a try when my flo jet pump craps out on me.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

One obvious thing to keep in mind is that you can NOT run this rule pump with the outlet valves shut off. It will ruin the plastic impeller fast. I ruined one myself and have quite a bit of paranoia whenever my new crewmen are messing with the valves, especially at the end of the day. Nor can you replace the impeller, you have to replace the whole pump (not if but when they fail) and they aren't cheap at ~$250.

Sure is nice to have washdown water though without cranking up the engine.

I think I did something similar to salty using a 1.5" T made from PVC and then reducing on the two ends to garden hose (Y'd on one end) But I went the extra mile and ran 1.5" hose all the way to the pit before reducing. I don't know if that helped but I was not unsatisfied with the results. Black Rubber garden hose is the absolute ticket too BTW.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

I have a Jabsco 1.5 inch electric clutch and have been intimately familiar with the entire parts list. What I have learned:
1. Don't wait to change the impeller until you see little black thinks coming out of the hose (or you will have to remove all the hose and clean the fragments out of the blockage)
2. Inspect the bearing where the pump seal keeps the saltwater from dripping on to the fan belt and electric clutch ( or you will be spraying saltwater all over your engine room which leads to rusty belt eating pulleys and destroying your alternator in time.)
3. Don't lose the bronze screws that hold the faceplate on because those screws are hard to find.
4. Get a warning (idiot) light on your dash so you don't run full out with your pump on.
5. They aren't hard to rebuild and the parts are not that expensive. No special tools necessary unless you replace the main bearing in which case you need a bearing press.
6. They are amazingly simple and last a long time.
JDPX if you have poor pressure you may have old impeller blocking the flow. You could do a test with a spare piece of hose, pull your existing hose off the pump and hook up the spare. If it is a lot better with the spare hose then you have a blockage, look where the hoses neck down first or any hose menders in the system. Oh and make sure the seal is not dripping and losing pressure.Good luck.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

Ok thanks for that advice. I had been assuming my blockage was probably at the through-hull side but remember that the failed impeller came out in pieces to an extent. I'll check the other end where it necks down first.

Now, is this pump not meant to be run at high RPMs?
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

JYDPDX, if you saw impeller parts coming out the hose, most likely there are bigger pieces caught and restricting the flow, yes if it is easier to check the neck down connection do that first, you will see the pieces if they are there.The pumps will wear out much sooner if you don't shut them off when you are running. Same thing with your hydraulic pump, it is hard on the pumps at high rpms. Especially when you are necking them down there is a lot of back pressure at high rpms. Should be an easy fix.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great tips turnaround.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I've been studying up on my fluid dynamics. It'd be nice to toss a funnel over the side with a hose attached and have it create enough pressure at trolling speed to put water through the hose and not have to deal with wearing out our pumps on our lowliner days.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I installed a rule as well. I used #8 wire to connect mine because I had heard that using too small of wire is one of the things that strains the motor and causes it to burn out.

I saw that they have the pumps for $189 on amazon, but they are back ordered for a few months. I might order a few spares.