You might be a "highliner" when....

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might be a "highliner" when....

Post by Salty »

Fellow fishermen,
The success of the You know you are a lowliner when... thread has prompted me to launch this thread. Granted, most true highliners I have known in the troll fleet over the years are quite modest and keep their success relatively quiet. So, the purpose of this thread is not to brag, but to bring out some of the excellence in attitude, performance, and contribution to the fleet, the industry, our product, our resource, and the earth that characterize many in the troll fishery.

So, you might be a highliner when the Governor of your state calls you and asks you to participate in a salmon quality task force.

On the other end, you might be a highliner when the retiring ice man thanks you for the courtesy and respect you paid him all those years, particularly all the fresh baked pastries your wife sent up to him.
akfish1
Spammer?: No

Re: You might be a "highliner" when....

Post by akfish1 »

You might be a Highliner when you dont know how to post anything in this section!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Is it too pessimistic to say you might be a highliner when you get into a different fishery?
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I was gonna write "You know your a Low Liner when You retreat to Katz Bay on the King Opener to avoid 4-5 ft Seas!! But we round the Point and there is the F/V I GOTTA Trolling. So guess I was wrong!!
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

You are a "highliner" when....

You take a ten year old boy fishing who does nothing but ask questions, never stop talking,drop leaders in the water, accidently set's off the epirb which goes unnoticed until there is a coast guard helicopter overhead circling and pull the hooks out of the mouth of fish behind the boat ,falls asleep in the pit when shorties have loaded the gear, run line snaps through the shives. Teach him everything you know. Have the fortitude to deal with the know it all attitude with him as a teenager. Help him work on his first troller to get it ready for the season in his late teens.

Attend his wedding in the middle of the season when they are biting" we both almost bailed on my wedding when we heard they had 100-150 fish that day". Help get his second troller ready for the season in his 20's.Keep him motivated to keep going when things are at their toughest. Show him how to read springs ,rips, boat maintenance , bottom paint , zincs, splash zone, currents, tides, radar,charts,Loran C ,then GPS ...... and so much more with patience and love.

He would say 10% catch 90%. He was one of the 10% and I didn't realize at the time what an education I received. He made fish appear when there were none. I remember getting my first boat and I was going to out catch him or so I thought. Well it didn't quite work out that way. He was a much better fisherman than I.

He has been gone for about nine years now.I can still here his lessons in my head. Man I wish he was still here but here is my shout out to the best all around Highliner I "EVER" knew. He made such a vast improvement to my life I will be forever grateful.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Awesome Post Crawfish!!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Awesome Post Crawfish!!
joeman79

I agree, what this thread was hoping to bring out. Thanks!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I had the opportunity to interview several "highliners" when I was doing a show, "Fin & Feather, on Raven Radio. Among the common ground they shared was a passion for the fishery, a love for their boats, and a rare sense of curiosity about the environment, the ecosystem in which they thrived.
What is interesting to me is that sometimes being a great fisherman, a highliner, coincides with great production, but not always.
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

Crawfish , if there was a "best posts" category that would be at the top of the list.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Thanks Crawfish. I enjoyed that so much I read it again this morning.

Lane
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Excellent post Crawfish and a honorable ode to your mentor. I lost mine 15 years ago, but still can see his smile especially at evening change of light with the springs on both sides rattling, encouraging me to get my own boat and permits and seeing his grandson stepping up and learning our work. Thanks for posting. Dan
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

I appreciate all of your kind responses.
I hope to be able to pay it forward some day to keep the fishing way of life going.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Yeah me too Crawfish. Appreciated that post. It really blends well with "why we do this"..
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

You might be a highliner if you have a "Salty" Dad!
Thanks for everything big guy.
Kj
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

KJ. Agreed! Been reading Marilyn's book and it's clear there are generations of thanks required for lots of us!

You might (eventually have a chance to) become a highliner by reading the fine advice offered on this Forum!
entropy1

Post by entropy1 »

If you have a wife with a job with benefits and retirement.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I qualified, but then she retired.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You might be a troll highliner if you resisted the temptation to catch last years chums in Icy Strait.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

You might be a highliner when you triple your dad when he had a good trip.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Another case of validating my Lowliner credentials zatoan.
You might be a highliner when you are still trolling coho on sept. 28.