new deck paint

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

new deck paint

Post by joeman79 »

If I have time in a couple weeks and the weather permits I would like to repaint the deck on my boat. Any recommendations would be appreciated, I have searched the subject here, but thought maybe there would be a new product or idea out there. It is a wood boat.
spike christopher
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: new deck paint

Post by spike christopher »

I have used this produce and it seems to do as well as any on the market. It is a two part epoxy and easy to use. On the bow where there is little traffic it has lasted twelve years. On the back deck I have had to put it on twice. It moves 200 percent so it doesn't crack open easily. But like most products how you apply it determines how long it will last. I was lucky to be able to dry the deck out. That is pretty hard to do in Southeast.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

I like epoxy paint also for decks, and priming with penetrating epoxy in areas of wood that seem soft. If there is rot you can dry (heat gun or heat lamp but don't set your boat on fire.) penetrating epoxy, fair in holes with "Wests" and then paint. A large large wood chisel is your best friend for removing soft wood, better than discs. If you have glass over plywood and have a crack the chisels works well to get down to the wood without grinding the entire surface away. Can't say enough good things about penetrating epoxy but it is a little spendy and you need to let it cure first (release it's volatiles). A small disposable paint brush is the best applicator, just keep dabbing until the wood doesn't take anymore then let it cure. Hope you can find some dry weather.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Yes I found some CPES and will pray for a few days of sun in a couple weeks. I talked to the folks at Rotdoctor and they gave me some great info and suggestions on surface prep and application. May spend an extra day in Juneau and rent a Floor Sander if I can get all of the paint stripped off. The stuff has a 5 year shelf life so if I do not get it done This spring and summer I will do next year. Leaving in 12 days, can't hardly believe I am doing this!!! EXCITED I will take some before and after photos if I am able to get this project done.
ironpaso

Post by ironpaso »

Hey Joeman, let us see some pics of that new boat even if you don't get it painted. Also good luck out there and stay safe. I wish I could be with all you guys out there. Harry