First salmon of the year?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First salmon of the year?

Post by Salty »

I just posted this in the comments section about an Alaska Journal of Commerce.

I get tired of having to point out every year that "Alaska salmon season" arrives January 1st for knowledgeable salmon connoisseurs. We have been harvesting and shipping the highest quality, best tasting ocean brite Alaska feeders for up to $11.00 per pound since the first of the year. 55,000 of them in our winter troll fishery this year.
Granted, Copper River salmon are a wonderful fish, but they certainly aren't Alaska's first salmon and arguably aren't its finest either. Yukon kings, SE troll caught, and others can all make a claim as the finest. But only our winter troll caught can claim being the first of the year and it is about time Alaska magazines woke up to the fact that all year is salmon season in Alaska.
Please correct as many other publications have over the years.
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Re: First salmon of the year?

Post by Kelper »

Copper River is pure marketing. Good comment.
spike christopher
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by spike christopher »

Not only are they not the first Kings of the year, they are not even allowed to be caught north of Cape Suckling. Southeast is the only area you can catch in the winter and sell.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

The below is about the guy that started the hype. And in his words: first was better handling by the fishermen; every scale possible still on the fish, chilled quickly. Then specific marketing to Seattle seafood restaurants. And lastly the sense of urgency! The rare the scarce, the first commands the highest price.
Guess we just need the urgency too, eh? Perhaps better marketing to specialty seafood restaurants would help. But I see no way to generate the urgency.
Anyone else? Ideas?

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/story-b ... mon/nfyT8/
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Manage our troll fishery for the markets instead of a few mostly non resident trollers who only want to troll in July and August.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I honestly can't think of any changes I'd want the troll fleet to make right now as far as seasons go. If a guy wanted, he could troll almost year round. In my opinion, the way to get more $ in troller's pockets ain't so much the kings, but getting the price of cohos higher.
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I agree with Kelper on price of Coho but also think Chum prices should be higher. Take a silver bright Chum season it same as Coho and yeah you will notice a difference but you wont push it aside guaranteed.
spike christopher
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by spike christopher »

the Alaska life has a interesting picture of the copper river salmon coming on the market. www.facebook.com/TheAlaskaLife
scroll down a few pictures, the market has put a high price on these fish. The rich are going after it what a marketing tool.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Just ate my first fresh king we caught sportfishing about 100yds off the petro dock in Craig this morning. Ate a black hoochie trolled behind a blue oki flasher. Wow, you almost forget how good same-day fresh king is, after eating frozen all winter.

I used to eat a fair amount of winter king. A Dec/Jan/Feb king is some of the finest eating in the world, IMO. The fat content is unreal, and it just slides down, if you know what I mean. If we could get the marketing, winter kings that time of the year should be worth way more than a 49.99lb copper river king. Imagine going winter fishing and getting over $20 a pound.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

image.jpg
A sport fish friend gave us this one. Mmmmm