2 weeks in and what I've learned

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Scotthmt
Spammer?: No

2 weeks in and what I've learned

Post by Scotthmt »

Well it's been a total of 7 days on the water in 2 weeks since the opener and here is what I've learned and experienced so far, maybe it'll help the next guy.

Be aware of depth changes, hanging up on the bottom is sketchy, watching the stick bend down and whip back up as the tuna cord snaps is a bit frightening.

I've had to chase my float down twice so far
The first time I was in rougher weather and as I let out my float (inside of heavy). The heavy leaders caught the wire on the float. When I went to pull my heavy the float disappeared, I saw two strected out bungees as I pulled the heavy, obviously tangles on the float, cut them and retrieved the heavy. Pulled the float line and up came the float, all tangled in wire, kind of scary as to what and where to touch. I removed the latch on the float and all the wire and rigs after the float, along with the weight snapped and off went the float, chased it down and got it.

Second time the wire between the float and isolator snapped, chased the float down and the weight and all 17 rigs attached, handlined the wire 17 stops up with a 35lb ball attached, not fun.

Changing out the wire now, not going to have that happen again, also heavies on the outside require planer boards to allow a float line to be set or retrieved without tangles in rougher weather.

Anyways that's just my experience with my boat and my gear, we have caught some fish, 450lbs or so, not bad not great, making a bit of money and having fun so it's worth it.
thediverdude
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 2 weeks in and what I've learned

Post by thediverdude »

I learned a lot of the same stuff last year. I also learned to always lock the gurdys so the wire does not spool off when you are not watching it. I also learned if it does spool off, don't put the boat in neutral because the wire tangles in the prop when you put the boat in forward again. I also learned when the wire tangles in the prop it stops the motor, but I learned the Coast Guard is real nice when they pull you in.

This year two weeks in I learned not to wait until a week before the season starts to get the boat ready. The first two week of this season I learned a boat sitting for sitting for six months is not a good thing. So far the first two weeks I have replaced a frozen gurdy motor, un-seized the hydraulic pump motor for the autopilot, un-seize the steering on the outdrive, learned to remove the water from the rusty fuel tank before taking the boat to the river for a test run. I also learned to watch for trees when towing the fully rigged boat across the parking lot at the launch ramp because trees break outrigger poles. I should be ready for the third week of fishing when my outdrive come back from the shop due to a bad bearing. Happy fishing.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Great stuff guys. I read it out loud to the family this morning to chuckles all around. Enjoy your seasons.

Lane
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Great posts, check out the thread by latitudes in the Getting Started section titled "The Lessons I Learned" for further consolation.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I would add a suggestion from my similar experience. when your deep hooks up with your float line then bring them in together and you probably will retrieve all your gear intact
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

and I worked on my boat for two months before opening day..not long enough, i'll start work in November this year
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I did both last year heavy and float as well as both floats. That was not something I want to repeat.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The important thing to learn is that you are at your best your first days and year. The more time trolling the less you will know for sure and the less confident you will be. Your status will steadily deteriorate from highliner, to mid liner to low liner and if you don't quit soon enough you can share my status as a no- liner. Skunked sport fishing yesterday and commercial trolling today. I am searching the internet for pictures of a skunk to photo shop onto my deck.
Bigbizen

Post by Bigbizen »

Great stuff. This is why I am only running heavies when its rough. As for the boat problems, thats a never ending story.