Backing

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Bigbizen
Spammer?: No

Backing

Post by Bigbizen »

I recently swapped out my old gurdies for a set of kolstrands with brass spools and am in the process of spooling new wire. I run 1/16 3 fathom wire and am wondering if I should start running backing. If so, what is the preferred material? In addition, my old gurdies had an anchoring point at the hub of the spool to attach the new wire and the kolstrands are bare. Any ideas on the best way to attach the wire and begin spooling? Thanks
Benmar

Re: Backing

Post by Benmar »

Tie a flat knot to the drum, to avoid a bulge. I use hard lay halibut ganion as backing, a clove hitch with a couple extra half hitches (around the drum) melt the end flat w/ no stopper knot. Be sure to pay it out in deep water at first use and get a good, tight, level wind on the backing. I don't use 1/16 wire, but i imagine that it would cinch down through loose backing creating a snag or backspool.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

If you use backing, be sure it is dense, and put on as tight as possible. I learned this from the school of hard knocks. Last year I used orange nylon twine, and had backlashes up the kazu. Not fun! I now use straight wire. I find a wide open area, and unspool the wire off the plastic disk into the water. Be careful that you have a tight hold on it as you get near the end. Then make a loop at the end that wraps around the wire so it tightens down on itself. I think if you have standard rotation gurdies, you will want to start the wire in from the outside. Use 3 crimps to secure the loop, and keep on trucking. The water resistance will put tension on the line, and get all the twist out. I wish someone would have told me this last year!
Bigbizen

Post by Bigbizen »

Good info. Thanks guys