Autopilots

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Siskiyous
Spammer?: No

Autopilots

Post by Siskiyous »

My 42 foot steel boat, the F/V Cheryl M has a Benmar Sea State 21 installed in 1978. She is getting tired.

I am starting to plan for a new pilot and my prime concern is control at slow trolling speeds. Roger, Crescent City's electronics guru says Comnav. Given his decades of experience it is probably sound advice.

What experiences have you guys had with other brands, or the different Comnav models?
lone eagle

Re: Autopilots

Post by lone eagle »

my old boat had Raytheon equipment, cheaper and plentiful on ebay...and it functioned well. I now have comnav and just shelled out $850 for a remote. gotta hope it's gonna last 20 years
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

Lone eagle. I am on the verge of having to replace the remote on my comnav 2001. This might be the weak link in this system. The shield goes bad in the wire and causes issues.
Benmar

Post by Benmar »

happy with my comnav, even though its frustrating at slow (trolling) speeds. This is because i've been to lazy or incompetent to interface the pilot with the GPS/CPU. If you supply SOG information to the autopilot it switches between high and low steering speeds. If you don't supply SOG info to the AP, it will always steer at the default rate for high SOG. So it uses way less rudder than it needs at slow speeds. You set the threshold for high/low steering rates, and set the rates as well. The other bonus of interfacing the AP with a Nav computer is that you can now steer a COG, rather than a magnetic heading, which as all of us who troll in the strong current know are drastically different things :D
BTW, Remember that an awesome AP that always keeps you dead on course is gonna utilize the heck out of your steering system, AP motor etc. so when setting slow speed rudder rate use the minimum rudder necessary to keep you reasonably on course. I'd like to be EXACTLY on my line, but i'd rather not buy new AP motors every season. It's a good idea to keep one onboard though, unless you enjoy steering from the pit with a pipe wrench.
JKD

Post by JKD »

I always had very good service from ComNav pilots. On my last troller I found the same 'weak link' to be the ComNav remotes - as mentioned above. I had 2 AP remotes installed - one back in the trolling cockpit and one at the longlining side-station. Neither seemed to be able to last a calendar year without a visit to a marine electronics repair shop due to condensation problems.

As for the ComNav APs themselves, I am planning to replace the Wagner 50 AP on my current troller with a ComNav unit once the 2014 fishing season is completed. After a conversation last November at the Seattle [Fish] Expo with the ComNav AP dealer from Bellingham, I intend to remove all of the existing 1970s-vintage steering system and replace it with whatever contemporary steering components ComNav recommends. I am looking forward to finally having an AP that can communicate with my Nobeltec software.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Without a doubt, Comnav. Hamilton Jet (who I do business with on Comnav) has a good remote they've modified for the Comnav - it's more of a industrial grade. It's good for longlining too as you can visual the rudder angle by looking at the handle position.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I think I was the first commercial fisherman in Sitka to get a comnav ap back in 87. I used that 2001 until last fall when I upgraded to a 1001. I have gone through some remotes and rudder angle indicators. I have spares with cables and can swap them out quickly now.
I interfaced my pilot with my computer Nobeltec program years ago and enjoyed that for a while. But after a couple of communication failures between them I decided not to interface them and have not missed it.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

We're Comnav 1001 as well. Seems to handle the boat fine at trolling speeds as long as I remember to put it on Slow mode before we arrive at the drag. Have ours linked to the Nobeltec too, and it works fine for traveling, but Can't be trusted in close quarters where it often will swing wide of a waypoint and head you to the beach. More likely a function of the Nobeltec than any fault of the Comnav would be my observation.

Caroje, thanks for the suggestion on the remote from the Hamilton Jet folks. I'll check that out.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

curmudgeon wrote:We're Comnav 1001 as well. Seems to handle the boat fine at trolling speeds as long as I remember to put it on Slow mode before we arrive at the drag. Have ours linked to the Nobeltec too, and it works fine for traveling, but Can't be trusted in close quarters where it often will swing wide of a waypoint and head you to the beach. More likely a function of the Nobeltec than any fault of the Comnav would be my observation.

Caroje, thanks for the suggestion on the remote from the Hamilton Jet folks. I'll check that out.
I agree with these observations and will ask about the Hamilton Jet Remotes
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

If you're wondering who Hamilton Jet is, they used to be callled, Hough Marine located in Woodenville WA
800 423 3509
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

I have learned to love my Comnav 1001. I was having weird problems with it and it turned out to be the potentiometer inside the little black pot connected to the rudder angle indicator. There is a little electronic device inside the pot and it is in a very wet environment. You should try to keep your rudder compartment as dry as possible. I like the Comnav system, with a "slow " and "fast" setting. You just need to get the settings for your vessel set just right (then write them down in case they get changed). Also learn to do a "dockside set up" which just resets everything, takes five minutes.
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

Good advice - thanks, I am praying it shows up tomorrow.
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

So on Tuesday I started the installation and by 6:00 PM was ready for testing, it hung up.

On Wednesday I tracked down a shield ground that had slipped out and got the dockside tests done. The fluxgate compass would not calibrate but I took on ice and fuel. Roger from Crescent Marine Electronics called me back and gave me advice so I relocated the fluxgate.

Yesterday we fished in a southerly wind, had strong cross currents, and the ComNav worked perfectly all day. We ran 3 lines to a side and worked in the fleet all day without incident.

I am a happy happy salmon fishing Captain. Thanks for the advice.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks for the follow-up. Unfortunately, neither my 2001 or 1001 works well in crowded conditions. If you ever spot me working an area by myself it is not because I am on fish but am avoiding boats.
Eric Jordan, F/V I Gotta.
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

That was my situation before too. There are a lot of variables to an installation. A few electronics people told me the fluxgate wouldn't work on a steel boat.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Salty, that may need to go into the You Might Be A Highliner thread. ;)
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

I have a 1001 and have to use the dodge buttons to steer from the pit. When I try to use tiller it turns all the way to starboard. Local electronics guy said it was a bad shield. Ran a shield from front of cable to the rear control thinking maybe an issue somewhere between but still can use only dodge buttons?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Trnaround, more appropriately in the Lowliner thread.