Comnav 1001

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Comnav 1001

Post by joeman79 »

I have a comnav 1001 on the boat I just purchased. Took it out yesterday just for a to be shown a few things about operating the boat. He showed me how to use the auto pilot and it works great. It works great but about EVERY 20 seconds or so there is an audible alarm that beeps. I asked him what that was and he remarked that is the way they are and you can't turn it off.
Is that correct ?? I googled it last nite and tried to find info on it but had no luck.
I did not read entire manual but reviewed trouble shooting section and found nothing.
I just can't imagine hearing a loud beep every 20 seconds for hours on end being a standard feature anyone would ever want. Guy told me it was a built in wAtch alarm to keep me awake!! And he was serious!! I read most of manual and beg to differ. I would call comnav but it's 430 in the morning and getting ready to heAd to Hoonah.
I am sure that I will figure it out but any help would be great.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Comnav 1001

Post by Crawfish »

Mine does not beep except when I change course manually via the control head. I would check your terminal connections as you may be experiencing a low voltage alarm as the pilot corrects its course in the auto mode. I would venture to guess this may be what you are experiencing. If not let me know and we will figure it out.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

That would drive me crazy. Mine does not do that either, I don't think its a "feature" on the pilot. A person who is very knowledgeable about comnav autopilots and marine electronics is Eric Holmgren (Current Navigation) in Sitka (907) 738-9257. If you can't figure it out he can probably steer you in the right direction if you pardon the pun.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

My comnav gives out a chirp once in a while as a warning when it loses contact with its rudder position indicator. But only once a year or so. Maybe you have a bad connection in the cockpit?
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

My comnav does not chirp.
Seems like marine type sleep alarms need you to interact as part of their nature.
Benmar

Post by Benmar »

lol yeah, it's not a watch alarm if you don't have to touch something to turn it off. You'd learn to sleep through that beep in no time... betcha it's low voltage or bad connection. The low volt alarm sounds when under 10volts, and should flash "LP:Er" on the display.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the key will be to look at the display while it is chirping and see what the error code is, then refer to the manual. The other time mine chirps to me is when I forget and leave it on when I have the boat out of gear. Obviously cannot maintain its heading when I am dead in the water and it gives me a warning that we are off course. So maybe the unit has some parameters set that it has a hard time maintaining? And it is warning you it is not doing as well steering as it thinks it should?
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Beeps every 20 seconds, not normal. Error messages give a beep like Once and the Futrure was saying. If you have a Comnav you should learn to do a Dockside Setup, that corrects a lot of problems try that first, it's like re-booting your computer.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I think I fixed it. Randy on the Wind Chime lent me his book. Was a rudder error. I did dockside test and centered rudder and beep stopped.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! Just think of the previous owner listening to that all the time when it was such a simple fix!!!
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Ya was guy who leased boat last year but I can't imagine
Hearing that all day long all
Summer . Though by the time we
Got to Hoonah it was not as
Noticeable