Prevent Injuries & Catch More Fish!

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
AMSEA
Spammer?: No

Prevent Injuries & Catch More Fish!

Post by AMSEA »

Ergonomics is the science of arranging things so that people can do them more easily and with greater safety. Good ergonomics onboard means that you can put more effort into catching fish and less effort into cleaning and icing your catch. At the end of the season that equals more pounds in the hold and less wear and tear on your body.

AMSEA is conducting "Strains, Sprains and Pains: Ergonomic Injury Prevention for Commercial Fishermen", a two-hour injury prevention and ergonomics workshop in Juneau and Sitka next month. The Juneau workshop is on Wednesday, June 4, 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the UAS Technical Center, Room 133, 1415 Harbor Way. The Sitka workshop is on Thursday, June 12, 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, at Harrigan Centennial Hall, 330 Harbor Drive.

Participants will learn about ways to avoid musculoskeletal problems common in commercial fishing and share ideas on ergonomic changes that fishermen have made on their vessels. Fishermen may bring a mat to practice some exercises to "tune up" their bodies before, during and after the season.

The workshops are free to commercial fishermen. Experienced fishermen can learn more about how to avoid some of their aches and pains and "young guns" can learn to prevent some of the wear and tear that otherwise comes with years in the fisheries. To register, contact AMSEA at 747-3287.
Attachments
Sitka Workshop
Sitka Workshop
Juneau Workshop
Juneau Workshop
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Prevent Injuries & Catch More Fish!

Post by Crawfish »

This is worthwhile checking into. I looked at the powerpoint presentation they had on line and it was well though out and easy to understand .
I learned a lot of things by looking at their materials. When I called them I wanted to know what they were going to cover because I could not personally attend they directed me to their material on their website.

Really nice people.

Thanks AMSEA !
AMSEA

Post by AMSEA »

Thanks for the shout out, Crawfish! I hope that we'll see you in a future workshop.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great workshop, informative and fun to share ideas.
Like this one. I sure hope the picture of landing a salmon over the stern rail, over the cockpit, with a full body twist and the resulting crash to the deck is an example of what not to do both in terms of ergonomics and salmon quality. As followers of this forum know, this method of landing salmon outrages me.
AMSEA

Post by AMSEA »

Salty, I have difficulty finding photos of fishermen actively working. Probably, because they're busy working instead of taking pictures. So, I work with what I can find and what the photographers will give me permission to use. If you have any photos to share that demonstrate better technique, please call me at the office. Good photos of good examples will be appreciated!

Jeff
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Here's how my crew handles them! :)
IMG_4482.JPG
(109.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great example curmudgeon.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Jeff knows her too. Last season he taught her everything she knows about how to correctly process FAS Coho, minus the bite marks! :)
AMSEA

Post by AMSEA »

I'm glad to have helped, Curmudgeon!