More than one boat same permit

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
elhewman
Spammer?: No

More than one boat same permit

Post by elhewman »

I am thinking about perhaps buying a boat that could be easily converted power but is set up for hand trolling which I have a permit for. I was still going to continue to fish my HT permit through out the summer before I think about getting my Powertroll permit. Anyway, if I buy the slow displacement speed boat would I still be legally allowed to use my skiff on days I feel like getting somewhere fast? I should probably look up the regs better but since I saw a few people swapping boats regularly last summer I figured it might be common knowledge…not that thats always legal.

Thanks.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: More than one boat same permit

Post by mydona »

2 boats + 2 permits + 2 boat registrations, sure why not, LOL? The legal question would be packing your HT caught fish on the PT boat and mixing the fish. It might be ok if you get a tender's permit or a catcher/processor's(seller's) permit. There may even be a transporting permit. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... cense.main. Check out the left hand column of links including a business license
Last edited by mydona on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
akfish1

Post by akfish1 »

No you couldnt use the skiff for HT if the permit is registered to your PT boat.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

Agreed akfish1; you can't HT a power permit or visa versa. but you can switch boats with 1 permit provided the boats are registered for the type of permit and you correct the ADF&G vessel number on the fish ticket.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

The gals at CFEC told me if I switched vessels, the new vessel must be registered to the fishery. You can use your same card, just cross off the boat name and put the correct name. Call and verify what I posted tho!

I hear you hewesman. I have a 7kt boat. Many days I wish I had a 24kt boat rigged for PT too that I could run out at first light to Noyes Island, load up, and be home by dinner when I have a day off and I know where a pile of fish are. Or just run out in the evening and catch a few hours of good king fishing. It's tough to beat a 7kt boat when you have the time tho!

Just curious, can you use hand gurdies with a PT permit? I can see not using rods, but seems like if a guy wanted to crank by hand on a pt permit, more power to him.
elhewman

Post by elhewman »

Sorry for the confusion,I basically meant, if I have one permit could I use different boats? For example if I have 2 HT rigged boats; one fast and one slow can I use them different days? I am assuming now that I can legally use different boats on different days if I log the correct name on my card. I am not sure however I can do this to the point of going off a good bite or my schedule as it might cause a problem switching boats to the extent that you do it weekly. Basically like Kelper was saying, In the long run I would like to have the ability to use a slow boat on my 3 day weekends but if I only have a half day. a faster boat might be nice.

In the long run If I went power troll then I would probably sell my HT permit so I would not worry about it.

I am going to call to find out. If I find any thing different than mentioned I will post it.

Thanks
elhewman

Post by elhewman »

To To confirm what you guys already said. Yes you can fish two different correctly registered boats with the same permit. Just sure to put the correct boat on you fish tickets.
Juno99801

Post by Juno99801 »

Here's another twist... Can my boat registered and used to HT be also be used for 6 pac ops on days when I am not using it for HT.. ?
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

yes you can charter your comm fish troller. All the regs. apply to each fisheries; ie the charter vessel has to be registered and have the sticker as well as the comm. has the HT, both will have the same ADF&G #. All troll fish off loaded prior to chartering. Clients have to be sport or deckhand licensed. !! warning!! a sport Lic CAN NOT be used as comm deckhand or visa-a-versa. Sport caught fish can not be sold. As to chartering while comm fishing (charging a deckhand to comm. fish) is a gray area and subject to interpretation of the boarding officer. In fact that would be worth a call to AK. Comm. Fish (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... rcial.main) for the true story. I've found that they are super nice and very helpfull and happy to chat on the phone
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

A call to Comm fish is great but when dealing with the law call your local wild life trooper to verify area that are opened especially . 11 A is closed to commercial trolling, so if you are dude commercial charting fishing you and your "deck hand" will be fined.